• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

tutorial Chile pepper weights, measures, and other things

Glad to find this resource, but I want to confirm something. 

I am getting ready to make a Thai sauce called Nam Prik Pao. Mark Bittman's recipe calls for 2-1/2 ounces of dried chiles. If I'm reading your conversion chart correctly, I would need 2-1/2 pounds of fresh chiles in place of dried pods. Is that right? Seems like a lot. 

I'm growing Thai and Oriental peppers for the first time. I've been growing cayenne, habanero and Scotch bonnet for years. 

jeffinsgf said:
Glad to find this resource, but I want to confirm something. 

I am getting ready to make a Thai sauce called Nam Prik Pao. Mark Bittman's recipe calls for 2-1/2 ounces of dried chiles. If I'm reading your conversion chart correctly, I would need 2-1/2 pounds of fresh chiles in place of dried pods. Is that right? Seems like a lot. 

I'm growing Thai and Oriental peppers for the first time. I've been growing cayenne, habanero and Scotch bonnet for years. 
Some say it's 10:1, some say 12:1 for fresh:dried

It probably depends on type of pepper, thickness of the flesh, etc.

Bear in mind, you're going to get a significantly different flavor profile from fresh pods than dried, so your traditional recipe may not taste like what you're expecting.

It'll probably be delicious, Just very different.

Ps - salsalady's a man, baby!
:rofl:

Would it be possible to include the various salt to pepper weight conversions, as well as the weight of salt by measurement (grams per tablespoon, cup etc) and for extra credic, the weight differences, if any, between kosher, sea, pink himalayan? I realize some of this information may be found in other sections of the forum but if this thread is pinned and someone is looking for all these in one place, it might be good.

I have some various types of salt, sugar, pepper, etc.  Will post some later if JMN doesn't beat me to it~  ;)

There is a definite weight and volume difference to salt.

Kosher different than regular table than Himalaya etc.

Here's what got edited into the first post-

Edit by request-
Weights of different salts, sugar, spices, black pepper

Item                 1 cup          1 Tablespoon
white sugar       206g          11g

kosher salt          143g          9g
sea salt ground   260g         14g
sea salt crystals  280g          ---
Himalayan Pink   277           ---
table salt             320g          17g

Blk Pepper Fine     108g       6g
Blk Pepper Coarse 122g      7g

Herb Flakes      36g   (like basil, oregano 1 cup)
Garlic minced   105g  (2/3 cup)
Garlic powder   101g  (2/3 cup)     

The grain size of the salt makes a huge difference, grain size of black pepper didn't seems to make much difference.
IMG_4877.JPG

IMG_4879.JPG

Look at the huge difference in the salt weights.  If you've been using kosher salt in all the sauces and then   "OOPS!  I'm out of kosher salt!  No Problem!  I'll just use the same tablespoon amount of table salt......."

yea, that's not gonna work out so well.... :(...  But if the recipe is by weight, it would be a piece of cake to sub one salt for the other. 

edited-again-to include himalayan pink-

table salt (11:00) himalayan pink (3:00) kosher (7:00)
IMG_4880.JPG

Added a bit about gallon jugs of vinegar to the first post.  I came across these 3 jugs recently, they are all gallon jugs, but there is a significant difference from the one on the left to the one on the right which was filled up all the way to the cap.  Just a reminder to actually measure the vinegar if it is critical to maintaining a certain consistency in the sauce.  For things like pickled peppers, it's not critical, but for a sauce, having that extra cup of vinegar could make the sauce too thin.

20160810_090447.jpg

I've not done any kind of taste test with other white vinegars.  I use the white vinegar mostly in the salsa.  It's a gallon of vinegar in over 20 gallons of salsa, so flavor's not really an issue.  Beyond that, as long as it's 5%, I've not paid much attention.

Other vinegars I have noticed some differences in brands.  Some of the balsamics, rice and cider vinegars can have a big difference in flavors. 

Interesting note, JHP.  Thanks for posting.  These jugs are 2 different brands, so maybe I'll pick up another white vin in a smaller jar and see if there's a difference between them. 

salsalady said:
I've not done any kind of taste test with other white vinegars.  I use the white vinegar mostly in the salsa.  It's a gallon of vinegar in over 20 gallons of salsa, so flavor's not really an issue.  Beyond that, as long as it's 5%, I've not paid much attention.

Other vinegars I have noticed some differences in brands.  Some of the balsamics, rice and cider vinegars can have a big difference in flavors. 

Interesting note, JHP.  Thanks for posting.  These jugs are 2 different brands, so maybe I'll pick up another white vin in a smaller jar and see if there's a difference between them. 
Of course now I cannot find the source, I am going to measure with my PH meter when I get into pickling. 

Was the source referencing "quality" by flavor or acidity?  I'd be surprised if it's labeled 5% but isn't 5%.  Flavor...yea, i could see that.  Heck, even the plastic jug could make a difference in the flavor.  DWV always has such a sharp flavor compared to other vinegars.

salsalady said:
Was the source referencing "quality" by flavor or acidity?  I'd be surprised if it's labeled 5% but isn't 5%.  Flavor...yea, i could see that.  Heck, even the plastic jug could make a difference in the flavor.  DWV always has such a sharp flavor compared to other vinegars.
It was a flavor thing...

JoynersHotPeppers said:
I also read/saw that white vinegar in a gallon jug is terrible quality, what do you think? 

It can be distilled from natural gas or petroleum and is considered a petro-chemical product. Heinz is distilled from corn, and they make a point of telling you on their site. Store brands in plastic are the God awful cheap stuff, but people buy them to clean with, that's why they make the cheap-o stuff. Never use that crap for food. Janitorial companies buy the gallons. Check into your DWV before buying. Tabasco on their site also tells you they use a premium white vinegar.

The Hot Pepper said:

It can be distilled from natural gas or petroleum and is considered a petro-chemical product. Heinz is distilled from corn, and they make a point of telling you on their site. Store brands in plastic are the God awful cheap stuff, but people buy them to clean with, that's why they make the cheap-o stuff. Never use that crap for food. Janitorial companies buy the gallons. Check into your DWV before buying. Tabasco on their site also tells you they use a premium white vinegar.
That was right along the lines I read and recall, thanks!

Back