• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

pod Chile Rayado Species?

My family lived in Central Mexico from about 1988 until 2001 and I used to go back down for a couple weeks a year, until 2010. For the last 8 plus years we lived there, we lived in the State of Hidalgo. The pepper which seemed most in demand in our local market was called Rayado, which in Spanish refers to the cracking or stripes on the mature fruit. This pepper was grown in a region called "la Huesteca," kind of a lowland/foothills zone, alone the Gulf Coast. Chile Rayado was native here and not grown in our town, which was at 5,000' altitude I tried for years to get seed of this pepper, but the only ones sold in the market had been smoked for chipotle and did not contain viable seeds. A German consortium of gourmets made some kind of agreement with regional farmers, who then formed a large co-op to grow and process this pepper. Some started seedlings, many grew them and few did the entire process from seed to fruit and back to seed. I failed in getting seed, and after a couple years I stopped trying.

After moving back to the USA I went back for a couple weeks a year to teach, and one year, a student, who picked up on my love of seeds, came in and handed me a sandwich bag with a fist full of Chile Rayado seed! I took it back to Oklahoma with me and have grown this pepper ever since.

Though the peppers resemble a Jalapeño they tend to be much hotter than that. Also, the leaves, stems which hold the pods and flowers don't much resemble that of a c. annuum, in my opinion. I've never had it cross with any other pepper, but I have kept it a very safe distance from c. annuums. It's grown right alongside c. chinese with nary a cross. I don't know what species it comes from? Would any of you?
sAyLXKY.jpg

4jGC7zB.jpg

Here's a link to a thread on this pepper, with much more detail. Green Country Seed Savers: Chile Rayado

macmex said:
Willard3, you live in Morelos? That's great! I hadn't noticed before.

I can't speak for Willard - but - I will recommend you post a quote from the person you are asking a question of so they get a Notification like you did.

willard3 said:
I would stick with the landrace varieties, ie. 

Manzanos

oxSfZkR.jpg

Xalapeños

dpfIXGH.jpg

Many of the unusual names you will find on the web and etc are just  varieties with which you are familiar but with a different name.

Mejicanos are quite proprietary with local landrace varieties and give them a local name. 

This is a typical mercado display in the Bajío. Pretty ordinary stuff.

UF74whm.jpg

It's also important to know where you are in Méjico, ie: norteño chiles (in the north, Chihuahua, Sonora, Nuevo Leon and etc) are different than those found in tha Bajío are different than the sureños ((in the south, Yucutan, Quintana Roo, Campeche and etc)

The state of Oaxaca names many common chiles with local names. The chiles are landrace varieties and, other than getting fruit  in a local mercado, you can't be sure what you are getting.

Those pictures look like "home," our other home, in Mexico. Where we lived in the Sierra Norte de Puebla the rocoto was very common. Where we lived they never called it Manzano but rather Chile de Cera (Wax chile). 

For years I prowled markets in a couple Mexican States, though mainly in Puebla and Hidalgo. I quickly figured out that most the main vendor booths purchased their product from El Centro de Abastos, which is a main distribution center in Mexico City. That place is immense, and most of its produce comes from large agricultural set ups rather than small, regional homesteads. To find the really unique stuff I always went to the part of the market where the indigenous people spread their blankets on the ground and plied their produce. There I'd find the unique varieties. 

Also sorry to hear about that, macmex. Hope 2021 is a much better year.

Thanks again for sending me some of your seeds this last season. I didn't quite make it to ripe pods outside with the later start, but I brought a couple inside to grow over the winter.  They're great-looking plants with their super fuzzy branches. I'm looking forward to some isolated seeds from the indoor plants and hopefully a bumper crop of pods from the 2021 season.

Happy Holidays, macmex! 

Smoking Hot, I'm glad you'll get seed and that they'll do well for you. They are nice plants. I've been hit with fungal issues in the roots, two years running. Sharing seed is the best way I know to ensure that a variety remains available. You never know, I might have to come here, some day, to get some seed! I hope not, but it wouldn't be the first time I've had to retrieve something that way.

I didn't grow Murupi Amarela this year and really miss those peppers. Between that and the crop failure with Chile Rayado I didn't produce any hot peppers at all! Good thing I have some preserved, or I'd be reduced to buying some! 

Going to give the rayados from Jim Duffy a try also this season. Eagerly awaiting the arrival of the seeds right now...  :)
I hope they are the same as the chile rayado. But if they are, why the name change? It's only confusing...

I believe the difference in name is probably due to the crossover from Spanish to English. Most often, in Spanish, I've heard it called "Chile Rayado," (Streaked Pepper). "Pepper" might be left off, being understood. If asked "¿Qué chile es?" (What pepper is this?) one might respond, "Es rayado" (It's a streaked) or "Son rayados," (Those are streaked peppers," "pepper" being understood from the context.

Hey macmex! Just noticed that some flowers are showing a bit of purple (on the back of a few petals only). According to your knowledge, is it something common with this specie? My plant is growing very well btw, lot of pods starting to form :dance:

Thanks!

I will keep an eye over this one. Pods are just starting to form and therefore quite small but they seem to have the correct shape. I'll report back when they will get bigger and showing their ripe color.

Back