• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Chili Chilaca seed question.

1670938969289.png

I had a great crop of pods from 3 plants. When the plants were about to freeze I cut & hung them pods and all.
Only 9 pods were ripe brown so I collected their seeds right off.

After they dried I did not like the look of the seeds, so I did a Germination test & after 19 days I could see the seeds were
not going to sprout. After the larger picked pods turned brown, I collected some more seeds & dried them.

My second test with different seeds, now at day 19 looks the same while the Rayados, Jalapeños, Guajillo's, & Serrano's all sprouted with in 9 days.

The germination testing process is flawless, so I have to conclude the seeds did not finish their seed making process.

I have a few seeds left from Super seeds so I will start them much earlier next season & see what happens.

Has anyone else had trouble saving seed from the Chili Chilaca or getting them to sprout?

Last edited:
This year I bought some chilacas on a trip to Oaxaca and saved quite a few seeds. They were also brown.
At the end of this month I will germinate them and I will tell you what happens.
Feel free to ask me if you think I forgot to report.

This year I bought some chilacas on a trip to Oaxaca and saved quite a few seeds. They were also brown.
At the end of this month I will germinate them and I will tell you what happens.
Great I will be interested in your results.
I saw an earlier post about a member who saved seed from a green Jalapeño & the seeds looked odd
with edges slightly curled & not your typical pepper seed. He had no seeds germinate.

The seeds from pods I picked & let ripen looked normal yet will not germinate at all.

The truth is that I have always collected my seeds from freshly ripened peppers. I have never had problems like this.
I have been able to observe that when the peppers spend a long time on the plant, the edges of the seeds wrinkle and darken. I never keep seeds looking like this. I'll keep you posted (hopefully I can tell you all is well, chilaca seemed like a really tasty annum to me).

I have been able to observe that when the peppers spend a long time on the plant, the edges of the seeds wrinkle and darken
Long time yes, these pods hung forever all while the other varieties were ripening & being harvested.
In fact I picked the only brown pods just as I cut the plants to hang them before first freeze.

You many have something in how long the pods stayed on the plant. Still the pods were Brown & should have been ripe.
I just don't know at this point.

The only feedback I would have is the pasilla bajio negro I've grown have ripened to almost black rather than brown and a few times the seeds took a good while to pop, like in the 2 weeks + range. In my current grow, I have them from two different sources with germination at 7 days and 8 days (first sprout from each source). FWIW, looking at your picture, I might have given them longer to ripen if weather didn't dictate, but I would have guessed there'd be viable seeds despite a little green shade remaining.

I might have given them longer to ripen if weather didn't dictate, but I would have guessed there'd be viable seeds despite a little green shade remaining.
Sept 20 is when I took the pictures.
Oct 21 is when we warned about the frost, so I cut them on the 20th.

1671023097982.png

The day I took the above picture I harvested 10# of Jalapeños & Rayados.
1671023378694.png

And these as well, it puzzles me as to just how long these Chili chilacas need.
1671023525858.png

Every other pepper I grew ripened & produced good seed, so I just don't know.

Yeah, that's a long time from when they were starting to change. With seeds, it's just hard to say sometimes.

That bowl looks fantastic. I've yet to get any big bunch of red rayado. Only the occasional few have made it to red. Earlier start next time I suppose.

That 10# made 17 pints of Horse Shoe Hot Wheels.
I got the Rayado seed from @Bou & the 5 plants went on to produce quarts of dried rings.

1671110084626.png

I have always used healthy ripe pods for seed. Maybe I too need to start the pepper plants earlier.
For years I have gone by the soil temperature as to when the plants get put out.
If the soil feels to cool for me it's not quite ready. The plants can stunt & never recover.
1671110663050.png

That's awesome to see how well the Rayado produced for you. There's a few pepper types that I struggle with to get good production in our season/climate. Rayado are currently on that list, but hopefully I can figure them out soon. I've been growing them for only a few years and they produce great pods, I just need to time the starting and getting outside dates better. I have one growing indoors now and plan to start a couple/few more in Jan or Feb. Maybe I'll have copious quarts of rings next fall too!

I have grown peppers before, only not 48 plants & 9 different varieties.
The results were beyond my imagination, every plant grew very large with
so many peppers I had to use more than 1 stake.

Only thing new this season was an organic Biofungicide.
First Fungicide I have ever used. Did this keep our plants free from illness?

We had to put braces on the branches of the Oriental pear.
Leaves at tips turn black with blight each year with early blight.
No blight this year.

1671149849800.png

Grapes usually get spots but did not this year. Such a heavy crop without
any spots. Leaves stayed clean & clear.
1671149972044.png

Rayados had pods everywhere, leaves were healthy & clean.
1671150161950.png

Mortgage lifter tomatoes growing up & over fence behind pepper plants
& full of leaves & healthy. In years past our Tomatoes would set fruit & the
leaves would start turning black & dropping off letting the tomatoes get sun scald.

Early light & late blight attacked our fruit & vegetables.

This year the tomato plants grew until fall.
After growing gardens on this land for the past 36 years, I have to say something
kept my plants free from Fungus, viruses, and bacterial problems.

1671150345140.png

Thanks for all the great input everyone. 😊

I started these seeds on November 26th, & today 23 days later there are only three seeds that have sprouted.
The other 6 look really tired, only one more may pop by Christmas LOL.
3 seeds out of 10 a 30% germination rate. Not bad for old seeds. However I will just pre sprout my seeds next season before
transplanting them to the Coco coir.

I really like this pepper & even after harvesting the dark green pods early & letting them turn brown, the amount of pasilla bajio we
made makes it worth growing again.

Good luck with your germination test @SpainChillihead it seems my seed at least takes quite a while to pop.

Last edited:

Hi!!
I said I would be back to update my Chilaca seed germination test.

Well, after 24 days, I got nothing of more than 50 seeds extracted from two apparently ripe chilaca peppers (purchased at a market in Oaxaca).

I add my note in honor of tenacity: After 6 days, I had 22 sprouts from 30 chilaca seeds purchased from one of my regular suppliers.

I wish you lots of luck.

Last edited:
Hi!!
I said I would be back to update my Chilaca seed germination test.

Well, after 24 days, I got nothing of more than 50 seeds extracted from two apparently ripe chilaca peppers (purchased at a market in Oaxaca).

I add my note in honor of tenacity: After 6 days, I had 22 sprouts from 30 chilaca seeds purchased from one of my regular suppliers.

I wish you lots of luck.
So far our 2 stories follow along the same line.
Your store bought seed, & my perhaps not so ripe seed did very poorly.

Yes, it is very disappointing. At least the purchased seeds germinated well
My purchased seed & yours did germanate very well.
My feeling toward the Chilica is. My season is not long enough here to get ripe pods with viable seeds.

The late season harvested dark green pods turned blackish, & made many wonderful Pasilla Bajio.
Moral of my story. Buy the seed from a good dealer, & enjoy the peppers you do get.

1674914574592.png

Last edited:
Is this a store bought product or something you made yourself?

Last season we had fruit & vegetables do so much better than in all the years we have grown here before.
Growing organically does not prevent the fungus & illness plants are susceptible to.

Unlike all the other toxic Fungicides, this fungicide helps bolster the plants own immune system a big plus.
No tomato's after the 1st blight & the apples all suffered a leaf scalding blight. This was for decades.

No blights this past season, with bumper crops of all fruits & vegetables without blight damage. Tomato's up until frost.

Last edited:
Nice I've used Bonide products in the past, never noticed this one. I can't remember a year my tomatoes didn't have blight. I started watering only at the base and that seemed to help but would still succumb to the disease eventually.

Back