• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

chili chilli chile

The Hot Pepper

Founder
Admin
Since no one is talking, let's bring up and age-old debate just for fun :shocked:

Is it chili, chilli, or chile?

Barbecue or barbeque?

:oops:

I vote for chilli (or is it chillie....). And I like barbeque because it matches up with the abbreviation BBQ. Now, I definitly not the one to debate correct spelling because I have the spelling skills of a three your old rock stuck in the tire of a Ferrari.

I'm going with GuitarGod on the Barbeque one, but i say it's "chili", as long as you're refering to the stew itself, and not the term "chile" used for hot peppers

Canadians often use chilli, meaning a bowl of red but I like chili
I like bbq cus I aint a good speller too.

Chile is Spanish though, I think it was adopted by English speakers to help differentiate between the pepper and the dish, which can both be spelled chili. That's my take on it.

Chile is the fruit of the chile pepper and this is used throughout Mexico, Central and South America. Chile is also used in the US as an adaptation of the Spanish word.

Chili is the gemish with or w/o beans.

Chilly is how the Brits spell chile wrong.....

Back