• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Chilidude growing season 2015

10 different chilis should suffice for season 2015:

Carolina reaper.
Petenero.
Carribean antillais.
Bonda ma jacques.
Fatalii.
Naga morich.
Rocato.
Black habanero.
Aji golden.
Aji pineapple.

Still going to grow them with led growing lights. Ghe flora micro+Ghe flora mato and coco coir is my growing combo.

This year have not been too kind for chili growing. Summer have been rainy/cold and only just now the weather have been warming up. If the weather stays somewhat warm for the rest of the season, there is still hope for some chilis.

We've been sitting in one hot summer here. Lots of days at 29c or so. The last few days have been a little cooler with rain, but it's been much needed. Hope things turn around for you soon.

Neil

Chilidude said:
This year have not been too kind for chili growing. Summer have been rainy/cold and only just now the weather have been warming up. If the weather stays somewhat warm for the rest of the season, there is still hope for some chilis.

I'm feeling you, Sweden has not been much better...

Weather has been improving and the chilis are starting to flower/produce pods. Never go without some Aji plants, that can produce pods even when the season is not so good.  C.chinense plants are more picky about the weather and may not produce anything worthwhile, if the season is bad:

Most of the new leaves are now a much better colored, thanks for the warmer weather.

How long do your plants survive outdoors? Or do you bring them inside at some point? I'm looking for a reference for myself, a lot of mine have just started setting fruit in the greenhouse, and we're neighbours after all so you might have know.

Comptine said:
How long do your plants survive outdoors? Or do you bring them inside at some point? I'm looking for a reference for myself, a lot of mine have just started setting fruit in the greenhouse, and we're neighbours after all so you might have know.

As long as the night frost doest kill them. I may have about one and a half month to go before the weather gets too cold. Aji get to stay outside and die from the low temperatures, but if the C.chinenses does any notable pods before that, i may have to move them inside to ripe their pods and then they can also die.

You can give the chilis a longer season by using frost cloth over the greenhouse and using heaters in the same time.

Overall this season have been a disaster, so better luck next season. :mope:

Chilidude said:
Overall this season have been a disaster, so better luck next season. :mope:

It really has! August should have been better for you guys too though, right? We got some sun and warmth and that did wonders to the plants.

Comptine said:

It really has! August should have been better for you guys too though, right? We got some sun and warmth and that did wonders to the plants.

Yeah. August have been good so far and hopefully this warm weather will continue for a while. C.chinenses have not been liking this long rainy and cold weather, Naga morich and Carolina reaper is flowering but doent produce any pods, they are too picky about this weather.

These two varieties may not been in the next year growing list , as i do not like to grow chilis that doenst like the Finnish ever changing weather.

It seems that the rising day/night temperatures and misting the plants a few times during the hot days have made my Naga morich plant to start producing beginning of pods. I hope the same treatment works with the Carolina reapers also. :confused:

There is little hope for anything other than a decent crop of Aji golden chilis this year, but  still better than nothing i guess.

Sorry to hear man. I know I've had years like that too. I'm contemplating overwintering my jolokia and reaper plants. Just hate dealing with the aphids.

Half considering trying a cross between the two as well. Haven't decided yet.

Neil

Blister said:
Sorry to hear man. I know I've had years like that too. I'm contemplating overwintering my jolokia and reaper plants. Just hate dealing with the aphids.

Half considering trying a cross between the two as well. Haven't decided yet.

Neil

No worries, if the C.chinenses does make any pods, there is still lot of led power to make the pods ripe. Maybe you should cut the overwintering plants to a small stumps and mist the remaining foliage with pineoil+few drops of cooking oil and water mixture.

I was thinking of something along those lines. I was going to cut them way back to the stem then trim a lot of the roots. Give them a good blast with the hose then probably do the same with the oils like you suggest just for good measure. I really don't want to deal with aphids.

Neil

Back