• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Chilidude season 2018

Last year was pretty much a disaster, the summer turned out to be a very cold and sunless thing, so i didnt get much of anything to eat and all my efforts did go to waste.

But i am willing to try again growing those chilis, so i am not giving up so easy.

I got two last year fully grown Hot paper lanterns, so they should produce some even if the summer is not so perfect, also will grow these from seeds:

Naga morich.
Bonda ma jacques.
Petenero.
Aji golden.
Aji erotica.(baccatum erotica)
Lemon drop.
Aji crystal.
Aji pineapple.
Queen laurie.
Locato.

This time around pretty safe chilis to survive cooler climates in my opinion, inside my greenhouse.

dragonsfire said:
What about butting a plate on top to reduce top evaporation? I have one of those grow mats, dont know were lol was using them to grow micro seeds.

The terracotta pots already have the plastic lids on top to reduce top evaporation as showed in the day 15 picture, the latest picture is just to show how the system works.

Hey dragonsfire, i was thinking that the similar system should work with a rock wool cubes too to feed them with constant moisture without making the rockwool cubes too wet... :woohoo:

dragonsfire said:
yup, If I can find that fibre mat.

Actually i didnt use the real capillary matting, this is a thick frost fabric i just cut to a suitable size and it is made from the same material as the real thing. :rofl:

Masher said:
Looking good Chilidude  ;)

They sure do look pretty good right now and i might need to up the fertilizer dosage to my 10ml/15ml rations very soon because i think they want to grow even faster rates right now and i am not here to stop them from doing just that. :shh:

Edit: Just mixed the new rations and added that stuff to the terracotta pots. The EC number was only 1.1, so it is still a very mild solution.

The new 180w cob led spider seems to be so powerful that most of my c.baccatum chilis have developed sunburn like issues in the older leaves:

The good thing is that the new leaves dont have this sunburn looking stuff. The burn is only on the leaves and not under the leaves, so i dont think it is fertilizer burn at all.

I have to start rising the light slowly upwards when the chilis are growing higher as sun burn is not ok thing for me at all.

I think i have not seen this kind of sunburn with my previous led growing like so i this is a  pretty good sign to see how powerful the new growing light is compared to the old ones.

Look at the difference between 23.02.2017 and the clock was 08.16 PM:
IMG_20180223_200945_1.jpg

And now picture taken in 26.2.2017 and the clock is 10.57 AM:

The difference in growing speed is nothing sort of amazeballs in just 3 days. :onfire:

Transplanted my 12 chilis to much bigger pots and for the spare chilis i have to find a new home:

Also the watering system is pretty much fully upgraded at this point.

karoo said:
Aaah
Transplanting :party:
Always good to get the hands dirty.

Oh the feeling i could get if i didnt have to transplant them ever again, i had coco coir all over the apartment by the time i was finished. :rofl:

Next time is to transplant them to the final 10 litre airpots, but that is about two months away.

Day 20:

I have not detected any major problems with the watering system and there is no signs of edema either with any of the chilis, so far so good.

I am starting to have my doubts about the whole self watering system with the nutrient solution. The self watering system is useful for holiday watering when you are away for day or two, but if you add the nutrition solution in the pots and continuously feed the chilis with it, there will be a salt build up and a nutrition lockdown in the imminent future.

I am going to return to the tried and true top watering thing for the nutrition solution as it will wash away any salt build up every time you water the chilis after the coco coir have dried some before adding more water to it. It is ok to test new thing out, but if it doest work like you want it to work, you should return to the one that have been proven to work in the long run.

Just top watered the smaller seedlings in the smaller pots to wash away any build up salts and now i will just monitor how will they do after that.

Chilidude said:
I am starting to have my doubts about the whole self watering system with the nutrient solution. The self watering system is useful for holiday watering when you are away for day or two, but if you add the nutrition solution in the pots and continuously feed the chilis with it, there will be a salt build up and a nutrition lockdown in the imminent future.

I am going to return to the tried and true top watering thing for the nutrition solution as it will wash away any salt build up every time you water the chilis after the coco coir have dried some before adding more water to it. It is ok to test new thing out, but if it doest work like you want it to work, you should return to the one that have been proven to work in the long run.

Just top watered the smaller seedlings in the smaller pots to wash away any build up salts and now i will just monitor how will they do after that.

Use a weaker diluted solution...or you can use something like fox farms sledgehammer every couple weeks so you don't get lock out or salt build up.(charcoal based nutralizer and blocks salt build up)

Masher said:
Use a weaker diluted solution...or you can use something like fox farms sledgehammer every couple weeks so you don't get lock out or salt build up.(charcoal based nutralizer and blocks salt build up)

Used 10ml/15ml solution for a while in the pots, but i rather not mess with the self watering thing with the nutrition water added in anymore at this point for my chilis, if my whole purpose is not to ruin my whole chili growing and i really cant take that kind of risk in my very short growing season.

Maybe i will try it some other time, but now is not the time to mess around.

Day 22:

It didnt take much "convincing" to give 5 chilis to the people i know in a single day, just say the word free and they are all over them in a hurry. :rofl:

Also going back to the tried and working top watering, i am done testing for now.

I have a question about using the rockwool. Do you bury the rockwool block in the potting soil ? Are the rockwool blocks something you can reuse?
Your plants look great. Your system is working good for you. [emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back