• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Chilli pods are wilting! help!

Hey.

Well my Cayenne and Birds eye peppers started fruiting, but most of them look severely sick.

3243555854_60b1bbe848.jpg

3242723949_ee147f2cc4.jpg

You can see what they look like there, any ideas whats wrong?

My habenero's look fine, dont show the same symptoms as these other pepper.s

hmmm, leaves look good.. nice and green.. no signs of anything major outside of the fruit... strange..

how are you growing them ?

My long thin peppers like that have don the same thing in the stinking heat. heat/sun burn.

THe bhuts, 7's ect love it but these dont.

Move them to where they get morning sun and shade after lunch. Thats what i did and hey presto....... much happier

cheers

Aszental said:
Grown in Pots.

Could it be the 45c days we've been having in melbourne?

Hey mate, yeah that looks like the same sun scald that I had on a number of chillies. As suggested by a few others, you can get some shadecloth if you want to go down that path, other than that, not much you can do.

Was a damn hot week wasnt it :)

Thanks guys.

Is it worth just throwing all the fruit out, and hope that the plant will re-flower again?

Whats the best way to promote new fruit from coming?

Also, how do you avoid blossom end rot?

Also, alot of the leaves have falled off the plant due to the heat, whats the best way to replenish them?

Thanks

Are you in that extreme heat belt that some of the other Aussies are having? If so, are you watering more often? Blossom End Rot is not usually a real calcium deficiency, it's usually a temporary deficiency caused by environmental factors. One of those is heavy watering after a dry spell, so it is possible that, if the plants are getting very dry, you might want to try Hippy Seed Company's method of watering with a soda bottle stuck in the ground.

If you want to fertilize, use a fertilizer with a low 'N' number, and use one that is complete, that is, one that contains all the micro nutrients, too.

How much sun do Habneros need?

I moved mine next to the fence, and their in shade until 1 in the afternoon... then they get sun for a couple of hours... is that ok?

Aszental said:
How much sun do Habneros need?

I moved mine next to the fence, and their in shade until 1 in the afternoon... then they get sun for a couple of hours... is that ok?

I don't think that's enough IMO. They like plenty of sun. My garden used to do great until the trees grew up around it. It went from sun all day to 4-5 hours of sun and the drop off in pod production and plant growth was considerable. I gave up and switched to containers - I've been much happier.

Back