• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Chiltepin Sprouting Success With Oasis Hydrocubes

Hello everyone!

I decided to create this post because I've noticed that when I Google about
growing Chiltepins, often my older topics here pop up in the results. Since I
am aware that many other chiliheads have had difficulty in getting chiltepin
seeds to sprout, I will gladly do my best to offer any help possible based on my
own limited experience.

Back in December, I had about a 50% germination rate with various chiltepin seeds.
Most of the seeds I had collected last summer from different chiltepin plants in
Tucson, and some of the seeds had been purchased at Native Seed Search. I had NOT
pre-soaked the seeds, but did put one per Oasis Hydrocube and moistened the cubes.
y
In January, I was out of the Oasis Hydrocubes, so I planted about 50 chiltepins in
a 70% peat/30% perlite and vermiculite medium, which I kept moist. I had terrible
results, with only a few sprouts.

Early in February, I planted 61 chiltepin seeds into Oasis Hydrocubes, and I
currently have 31 sprouts. Oh, and I recently just had another one sprout from an
older Oasis Hydrocube that was planted back in early December!

I am currently doing an experiment (see my other post) with Oasis Hydrocubes, a peat mixture, and coco coir. So far, the germination rates have been much, much better with the cubes, while only a couple have sprouted in the peat or coco.

I learned that heat is the key to getting chiltepins to sprout. However, in addition to sprouting them at a warmer temperature, I have discovered that the Oasis Hydrocubes have a much better advantage over peat or coco coir.

I'm guessing the Oasis Hydrocubes are very similar to Rapid Rooter and Root Riot. I had very similar results. The Chiltepins I planted in soil without the cubes tended to wilt off and die shortly after sprouting, even when I let the soil dry out before watering and only watering enough to moisten. However, with the cubes I found that no matter how much I water, they are still going strong and only wilt after the whole cube is completely dried up.

I think they are perfect for those, like me, growing over 200 plants to help protect us from simple mistakes like overwatering. When you have over 200 plants, it gets way more difficult to make sure each plant gets the right amount of water. I feel that if I didn't use the cubes, I might only have a couple of tepins left. I'm not sure why, but they just seem to die very easily otherwise.

I don't know what extreme conditions you guys have your seed starting setups in but Tepins/Chiletepins/Birdseyes all seem to sprout faster than not for me. I think what gets most people is that these seeds evolved in a way that they need some sort of scarification in order to sprout quickly. Whether the acid from an animals stomach or being somewhat ground up in the gizzard of a bird something is needed to aid in the germination of these things. Once you get that down you should have near 100% germ rate given your seeds are still viable.

Same here I put a dried pod in a pot of dirt, and its taking off like a weed I still have 2 more seedlings I need to separate from the main pot..

I don't know what extreme conditions you guys have your seed starting setups in but Tepins/Chiletepins/Birdseyes all seem to sprout faster than not for me. I think what gets most people is that these seeds evolved in a way that they need some sort of scarification in order to sprout quickly. Whether the acid from an animals stomach or being somewhat ground up in the gizzard of a bird something is needed to aid in the germination of these things. Once you get that down you should have near 100% germ rate given your seeds are still viable.

Almost wonder if getting a parrot and feeding it pepper seeds would help germination :)

"[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Almost wonder if getting a parrot and feeding it pepper seeds would help germination." [/background]

[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Parrots bite really hard. In the past I[/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]'ve had a couple of parrots, and the few times I was bitten, I thought that my finger was going to snap off. Also, when a parrot...relieves itself...unlike smaller birds, a parrot will squirt it out, usually shooting it a good distance.[/background]

[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]I'd recommend getting a couple of finch. In Arizona, we have a bird called the House Finch. It is quite common here, and they have bright red breasts and heads. They love chiltepins! From what I've read, they are the ones that devour the chiltepins at the Wild Chiltepin Preserve just South of here, and are the ones most responsible for spreading the seeds. (They also attack tomatoes and take out chunks, but that's another subject!). Also, finch don't squirt.[/background]

Mockingbirds are the ones that spread them in Texas, although I'm pretty sure it's illegal to keep one as a pet.

Dustin I dont think thats true that they are illegal because momma said she was going to buy me a mockingbird and she promised if it didn't sing she was going to buy me a diamond ring

Back