• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

breeding Chinense or Annuum cross ?

I'm trying to learn more as always. Several times when pictures are shown of what people think are a Chinense others will say it looks like a cross with an Annuum.This has happened a lot with my Scotch Bonnets.

Potawie has said to look at the size of the stem cap. When they are larger he feels there's a great chance it's a mix. At least that's what I understand him to mean. What are some other ways to figure out if a plant is a pure Chinense or a mix?

Here's pictures of various peppers. All are supposed to be Chinense. All the plants are CCN stock. And yes I understand that even if they are considered a good source things can still go wrong.

The caps look large to me on most of them. I have noticed that the same type of pepper may have some lager and smaller caps. I don't know if the pods came off the same plant or not. I'll have check next time and make notes.

Peace,
P. Dreadie

Congo

Congo8-20-10.jpg

Fatalii

Fatalli8-20-10.jpg

St Bart's

StBarts8-20-10.jpg

A Red & Golden Habanero

Hab8-20-10-1.jpg

POTAWIE ... here's some Bonnets. To me the caps look pretty much the same. Especially when compared to the St Bart's on the left. Sorry to be a pain.... I just have to clear things up in my brain. Well ... the right one is pretty big looking. But live they seem close if I'm looking at the right part ....

hot stuff ..... guess I'm too old , tired , or thick .... I couldn't find info I thought might help me. But thanks ...

Peace,
P. Dreadie

SB8-21-10.jpg

I guess to be a little more clear on things in pictures I have seen chinense pods that had thinner stems and caps. It's just mine don't seem to look that way. And I'd think and hope CCN didn't get all my types mixed up and crossed.

Peace,
P. Dreadie

I've been on the same sort of Scotch bonnet quest as you PD for many years now and have grow quite a few varieties, some real SBs, some annuums, and some I'm quite sure were annuum/chinense crosses :(

Unfortunately its not always easy to determine species by stem alone but its one helpfull clue. Then you also have to imagine that many varieties must be intra-species crosses whether we know it or not. Look at the naga(and probably most of the superhots) they are chinenses but they also have some frutescens genes. I suspect this is much more common then we like to believe

Back