• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Chinese red peppers in hot sauce

Hi guys. New here. I am experimenting with several different hot sauces and wing sauces. I got my wing sauce close to perfect. But now I want a hot sauce that will work better for general use. My wing sauce has bourbon (Jim beam) along with molasses, honey, ketchup,mustard, Vidalia onion, Carrot, butter, garlic cloves, Serrano peppers, cumin, black pepper, salt, and cayenne.

My hot sauce has yet to be more than just some notes scratched out on paper but I may experiment this afternoon if I get time. It is going to have Jim Beam, vinegar, water, sweet onion, carrot, molasses, cumin, salt, fresh garlic cloves, serranos, and I was thinking of adding some of those dried chinese red peppers? I can buy them by the bag at Wal mart and I LOVE the way the taste in Chinese food and how if you eat one they clear your sinuses like horseradish lol. But I have never heard of anyone using them in traditional hot sauce.

The recipe I am modeling my hot sauce after only uses 1/4 cup diced serrano. When I make my wing sauce i use anywhere from 12-15 whole peppers chunked up. My wing sauce is not super blazing hot but more "spicy" and I think that is because the butter tames the heat of the Serranos. This hot sauce I am going to play with will not have butter so perhaps 1/4 cup will be a plenty??

1)Would some dried Chinese red peppers work very well with the ingredients I listed?

2)If so would you blend them up with the rest after cooking or simply let the flavor leach out into the mixture then discard them BEFORE blending?

3)And what ratio?

4) ground cayenne pepper as well????

Thanks for any help guys.

Cory

hogleg said:
I highly recommend seeking dried goatsweed peppers in place of the "chinese" peppers. Much more flavor and heat.

Personally I would ditch the jim beam and molasses in the hot sauce. I think they are gonna mask the pepper flavors. I would use a little apple or pear for sweetness instead of molasses. 

Good luck, have fun and welcome to THP from Sonoma  :hi:

Goatsweed yes
ditch the JB and molasses yes

And Hell Yes on the apple and/or pear.
I like to use pear in all my sauces part for sweetness and part for texture. Pear helps the sauce to thicken up real nice.

Back