• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Chipotle raspberry pie?

For Thanksgiving, my wife made a raspberry pie, and it was pretty awesome.

Now raspberry chipotle sauces have become really popular of late. So I got an idea the other day: chipotle raspberry pie.

Has anyone ever tried making it before? Recipes, anyone?

We're trying our own experiment with it. I'll let you know how it goes.

Sweet and hot go together very well! I added some lemon drop and tabasco powder to a chocolate cake dough a few days ago. Awesome! I have candied habaneros last year and used the remaining syrup on icecream. Deeeelicious!

So for a raspberry cake I could imagine some citrusy peppers like lemon drop or fatalii or cherryish peppers like my Turkish pepperoni. I also could imagine tabasco either as powder into the dough or fresh/frozen pods mixed into the raspberries.
I'm not so sure about the smoky chipotle taste in cake or pie. The raspberry-chipotle combination might be better with meat.

:think: Hmmm.... you have given me a crazy idea, TexomaHeat! But I'm keeping it a secret until I can experiment with it and see if it works........ ;)

BTW, did you ever get around to baking your pie? And more importantly, did it work??

Chipotle goes well with blackberries. The blackberries are earthier and sweeter. Raspberries are tart and you'll need a lot of sugar to balance the recipe and you may oversweeten and overpower the chipotle flavor.

Just my opinion, and I've tasted the combo.

thehotpepper.com said:
Chipotle goes well with blackberries. The blackberries are earthier and sweeter. Raspberries are tart and you'll need a lot of sugar to balance the recipe and you may oversweeten and overpower the chipotle flavor.

Just my opinion, and I've tasted the combo.

Sounds like you got that one sussed, boss!

However, my idea involves neither chipotles nor raspberries.... TexomaHeat's idea sparked something else.... both similar and very different.

gasificada said:
Sounds like you got that one sussed, boss!

However, my idea involves neither chipotles nor raspberries.... TexomaHeat's idea sparked something else.... both similar and very different.

I think you should do a spicy lemon meringue pie :D

Tex, sounds like a really good idea to me. Last year I made Raspberry/Hab Jelly and it was awesome.

Hey Gas, how about Tepin-shortbread? :P

Back