• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Chipotle Sauce

Hi -

I've been making this for several years - it's the only sauce I've made that I really like.  It's very versatile and can be used as a dip for chips or added to whatever you want to add chipotle flavor to.  I like to make it in small batches - this one was about 2 pints and I canned it so my son could take it back to FSU.  He really can go through it.

Of course you start with smoked red ripe jalapenos.  I grow a few but really rely on the Mexicans at the flea market as my source - they always have nice red jalapenos.  I smoke them over pecan for about 5 hours and finish them off in a dehydrator before freezing them.  I know they're not chipotles in the traditional sense, but what the hay.  They freeze very well and I always have some on stock.

I put the ingredients together in a small sauce pan and simmer for a couple of hours until the jalapenos are soft.  Then I take them out and remove the stems.  Then I food process the chipotles and add back to the sauce pan.  It's usually at this point I add the catsup - about 2 tablespoons.  I'll simmer the mixture about an hour being careful to add water or vinegar as needed for consistency.

One ingredient not shown is the sea salt.  I probably added about 2 teaspoons to this batch.

I know some may not like seeds but they work for - I actually like them in this sauce.

Then I add to the sterilized jars and listen for the lids to pop.

I hope you try it - very tasty and simple to do.

Bob

001-3.jpg

002-1.jpg

003-2.jpg

008.jpg

015.jpg

Scoville DeVille said:
It's actually pretty thick like a glaze almost. The only changes I made was more Brown Sugar and dried Habs, smoked if I recall. I wanted it HOT. It really is a great sauce, especially for it's simplicity. 

I should try to find for you a BBQ sauce I created here a few years ago, inspired by my Mole sauce.
Keep me in the loop on that BBQ sauce. Mole is one of my all time favorites.

Bob_B said:
Hi -

I've been making this for several years - it's the only sauce I've made that I really like.  It's very versatile and can be used as a dip for chips or added to whatever you want to add chipotle flavor to.  I like to make it in small batches - this one was about 2 pints and I canned it so my son could take it back to FSU.  He really can go through it.

Of course you start with smoked red ripe jalapenos.  I grow a few but really rely on the Mexicans at the flea market as my source - they always have nice red jalapenos.  I smoke them over pecan for about 5 hours and finish them off in a dehydrator before freezing them.  I know they're not chipotles in the traditional sense, but what the hay.  They freeze very well and I always have some on stock.

I put the ingredients together in a small sauce pan and simmer for a couple of hours until the jalapenos are soft.  Then I take them out and remove the stems.  Then I food process the chipotles and add back to the sauce pan.  It's usually at this point I add the catsup - about 2 tablespoons.  I'll simmer the mixture about an hour being careful to add water or vinegar as needed for consistency.

One ingredient not shown is the sea salt.  I probably added about 2 teaspoons to this batch.

I know some may not like seeds but they work for - I actually like them in this sauce.

Then I add to the sterilized jars and listen for the lids to pop.

I hope you try it - very tasty and simple to do.

Bob

001-3.jpg

002-1.jpg

003-2.jpg

008.jpg

015.jpg

This is exactly what I was looking for,simple and looks tasty.

Just wondering if you have added maybe mangos, or another ingredient to make it sweeter?

Thanks for this gem!!!

Canes  - I'm sure you could substitute a fruit for the brown sugar - I haven't tried that though.  The only real deviation I've made is that my last several batches I've added some fermented Manzanos to the chipotles and this has bumped up the heat another notch and added an interesting flavor complement.

I'm happy that several of you have made and enjoyed this concoction.  We use it as a condiment on almost anything we would normally use catsup on.

Another point I made earlier is that you can substitute fresh Datil pods for the chipotles and have a pretty respectable Datil sauce.

Back