• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

chinense Chocolate Habanero

Have any of you heard of / tasted this one? It seams that the heat will overpower any potential flavor.

http://www.thechileman.org/results.php?find=chocolate+habanero&heat=Any&origin=Any&genus=Any&chile=1

Heard of it, haven't tasted it... yet. I planted some last year and they failed to grow. I just started 6 more seeds from a different source germinating two days ago. We'll see what they do. There are plenty of resources here on this forum that could provide you with seeds.

Had to change that up... not making an endorsement or advertising in any way.

Yes those been around for a long time my friend. They are hot. Smokier flavor, nothing like a normal orange hab. They stay short and bushy and throw pods out like crazy. Awesome color too.

This is my third year attempting to grow these. Last year I managed to get plants in the ground but a rabbit got plants in the comunity garden plot before I got a fence up and the neighbor kids got the plant (along with a ton of others) in the main garden at the house. I currently have 3 seedlings up and hope everything goes better this year.

I need a new source of seeds for these, mine failed to germinate more than once plant last year and it was a runt that didn't produce any usable pods for seed. I love the flavor and heat for sure!

I have six seeds left over... I have no idea if the six I planted will grow true. Got them from Amazon.

I also have a batch from Duffy on the way. I can send you some of those if you'd like, JHP

I bought one plant from Cross Country Nurseries last year, it produced well despite a nasty bout with aphids early on(my fault, not CCN).

As stated, great flavor and one of my new favorites.

Any chocolate variety tastes great in my experience. The flavor is out of this world good. I grew long chocolate habs last year and they were by far one of my favorite in the garden.

Quite a few variations of these. The ones I grew had good flavor and heat that was high enough for me but didn't trump the taste. Big pods and heavy producer!
2012-09-04_19-51-38_430.jpg

these are great I used mine to make jelly.. the flavor was different for a red or orange hab. heat level about the same. You should definitely try them

I grew them last season. I ate them whole in the garden without trouble. The taste isn't too bad. I think they taste better than red habaneros.

i didn't get the smokey flavour with mine and they did remind me of red habanero in taste. it seemed to take a while for the pods to mature to the dark chocolate pigment, many times i would look at the pods and if the light hit the pods just right, they took on a red hue. they weren't killer hot, comparable to orange hab in heat. it took my plant 2 years to produce pods but then with my cool summers i am lucky to get any chinense to produce. the plant is overwintering right now but doesn't look like it will make it into its 3rd year. my focus this year will be on chocolate bhuts which i did find tasted better.

here are my pics: (first the pods, then the plant)..... seeds came from pepperlover...... good luck to you.

P1000458.jpg

P1000427.jpg

Back