• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

chinense Chocolate Habanero

I may have a unique strain(USDA seeds) because mine taste nothing like red habs and if you use them in salsa they bring an almost chipotle flavor out with out actually smoking the pods.

They are my favourite chilli. I grew some last year and they didn't produce much at all. I was about to give up on them when I finally got two pods from them. They tasted so good that I brought them inside and spent money on growing them over winter. At first I just wanted to keep them alive until the next year but I've not cleared out the inbuilt cupboard and converted it to a grow room specifically for the chocolate habaneros. I started a thread about it, the link is pasted below. I need to update the thread because planting them in bigger pots has done them a world of good. They've grown really big, are producing bigger pods and have loads more flowers.

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/35941-growing-indoors-using-desk-lamps/

The flavour is unlike your normal habanero. They are really pungent. They're slightly hotter as well, but I wouldn't say that they are too hot. While we're waiting for the next batch of peppers to ripe we've bought some Naga Jolokia from the market and are using those in our dinners. I'd say that the Chocolate Habanero imparts far more flavour.

We are going into our winter in the next few months so I will need to set up some sort of indoor growing room so we are ready in the summer which starts around September again.

Will have to start working on my motivation to the wife :-). She owns indoors and I own outdoor :-)

Back