• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Chocolate(or brown) C. chinense chat

Ok, who's growing different chocolate varieties, and which ones are your favorites?
I've been growing a choc. Caribbean variety for several years which I really like, and a Choc Scotch bonnet that is very similar, and a choc. Madagascar which is quite different in color and ripening but I haven't done much tasting yet. Also I grew a choc Congo variety that was also similar to the choc. Caribbean. I'm really not sure which one is the hottest but they are all damn hot, plus I'm planning on growing some Trinidad Douglahs in Jan. or Feb. I've tried them, the're killer:mouthonfire:

Here's some choc. bonnets and some choc Caribbeans. I can't tell them apart by looks

2796187273_5b912b62bc.jpg

I see those are on the dehydrator tray. Do you dehydrate them whole like that or is that just how you are displaying them?

Check my avatar they are absolutely beautiful and huge this year... SJ I have dont them whole and it halves the ones I halve I usually take the seeds from -- I just put slits on either side of the pepper and dry them

I am hoping to do have Douglah as well but this is my first year with this variety

Skyjerk said:
By Chocolate Caribbeans, do you mean a chocolate version of
the Caribbean Red Hab?

Probably not. Caribbean red habs aren't even from the Caribbean, they're from Mexico;)

Here's a pod full of juice
2797361376_381e4aff6a.jpg

These SB's I'm smoking for my "Scorched bonnet" sauce
2797361384_71a55d37b0.jpg

I am growing only two varieties of chocolates/browns...Jamaican Hot Chocolate from Tomato Growers and Chocolate Habanero from UncleStevesHotStuff...

I have tasted the chocolate habs but the JHCs are just now turning...the Chocolate habs are pure fire...

I have Chocolate Habs also and love their earthy flavor. Do other chocolate/brown varieties have this unique taste? I really like how the chocolate varieties stand out against other peppers in a basket at harvest. Pretty peppers.

Very nice chocolate pods...2006 was the year of chocolates for me. I grew out 30+ varieties of brown C. Chinense types. When I do something, you may tell it's not in moderation. lol.

Chocolate Scotch Bonnets and Jamaican Hot Chocolate are two of my favorites. I have a Chocolate long scotch bonnet I've grew for several years that produces giant pods, but it's not a big producer. I love it though. The coloring is amazing and the shapes are very contorted. Unfortunately, I didn't grow it this year.

Souglah is obviously another great one! Chocolate Bhuts should be another cool one for 2009. :)

Chris

You'll love the Jamaican Hot Chocolates AJ. The coloring is phenomenal. :)

Chris

AlabamaJack said:
I am growing only two varieties of chocolates/browns...Jamaican Hot Chocolate from Tomato Growers and Chocolate Habanero from UncleStevesHotStuff...

I have tasted the chocolate habs but the JHCs are just now turning...the Chocolate habs are pure fire...

All those chocolate pods look great I have ony Brown Congo this year next year I will have more chocolate color pods they look very attracting.

they look so cool potawie
ill defo have them on my 2009 list i have the choc bhuts
for next year and choc habs,
looks like ya gona have some nasty
brown chilli powder for next year:)

No powder, I'm woking on a sauce, trying to come close to one I made last year but no recipe only memory to relly on:(

here is a picture of 2 of my JHC's that are turning and another 3 in the pic that are green...

JamaicanHotChocolate08-25-08.jpg

it won't be long now...

I've just got Chocolate Hab and got to try one the other day and I was surprised at the difference in heat from an Orange Hab. I loved the taste too. :)

Back