• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Chocolate Primos

Hawaiianero said:

Maybe I just gotta have a little more patience. My Brown Morugas are from Judy (PL) too and after a year still not impressed. Sounds like the flavor gets better over time so I'll keep mine going for another year to see if it holds true for mine too. Like I said in an earlier post, "it blends very well with other peppers but just not my favorite on it's own". Now I have to add "so far".
I have grown Judys brown moruga since they came out and absolutely love them every year. I have 2 two year old plants as well as 1 year olds this year. all put out excellent flavored super hot pods.

pods from 2 yr old.jpg

Among other peppers tried out on Monday night, chocolate Brain Strains from Cappy's genetics, and the chocolate Primos. Both were fairly oily peppers. The brain strains were pretty hot but started a bit weak and grew for a minute or so. The Primos were super hot from the first second you tasted it. It was very hot cand got hotter for a good couple of minutes. Both tasted pretty good and neither were bitter. The BS was more mild in comparison, where the Primos were intense for a while. The Primos were richer chocolate tasting and were definitely better all the way around. I made powder out of most of these I bought and that powder was REALLY hot. I have a new favorite chocolate powder! This is the hottest chocolate I have tried yet, but I have not tried chocolate reapers or CPRs. I am cleaning the seeds from the best pods, and seeds will go out in the next couple of days. Tom

Sounds absolutely awesome, can't wait to try them. It is like smelling the cake baking in the oven right now.

Hey Tom, you should link to your Facebook pages on both your websites, Cycad and Seriously. :P Those choco primos look great. 

Datil said:
Judy's Brown Moruga and Chocolate Lava both taste great and carry tons of heat. Nice to see people that still cares for flavor in the superhot era :)

Datil
Where did you get Judys chocolate lava? nothing on the site or here announcing the release

This chocolate primo has my interest. To date my favorite chocolate is the lava, both in flavor and in heat. Grew it the past 2 years and it is fantastic!

I haven't noticed that chocolates as a group have their own distinct flavor.  But now that other say they have noticed, I wonder if there is a brown pepper that people use to cross more often than others.  Might explain what people are noticing.

Has anyone noticed this thread sounds like American beer vs. German bier at times?

Probably Douglahs have been used more often than anything else. Douglahs taste better than most of these new ones I have tried. More often, I would say chocolates have a smokey taste. I think Douglahs have a more complex taste than most of these new ones as well. Douglahs can vary depending on who's genetics you get a hold of. I remember more than one person on this forum, years ago, said Douglahs taste like feet. Or, nasty, sweaty feet. After I grew my first ones and brought them to hot pepper night, both me and the bartender looked at each other and said, do you really want to do this? We both did, and it tasted great. These new chocolate primos were pretty awesome. Very rich taste too.

I got to try some chocolate Primo's that were part of a very generous care package I got recently. I'll definitely agree with the nice flavour and instant heat with them. I was expecting the usual delayed heat I usually get with Chinense pods when I took a bite but was met with instant heat instead. Definitely saved seeds, and I'm similar in regards to chocolates. Only like a fraction of the ones I've tried. Chocolate scorpion, BBM, brown 7 pothe, black naga and now this choco primo are about it.

cycadjungle said:
Douglahs taste better than most of these new ones I have tried. More often, I would say chocolates have a smokey taste. I think Douglahs have a more complex taste than most of these new ones as well.
Is funny to note that I very rarely read anyone talk about the douglah.  Its like the forgotten pepper.  I love them in sauce for things like garlic bean curd, fried rice, things with an Asian base.  Oh, egg fu young sauce.

AJ Drew said:
Is funny to note that I very rarely read anyone talk about the douglah.  Its like the forgotten pepper.  I love them in sauce for things like garlic bean curd, fried rice, things with an Asian base.  Oh, egg fu young sauce.
That's because it isn't new. There are lots of people who are just into what is new. I try a lot of new things. I find out they aren't anything special, and I move on. But the people selling what is new got my money. But that is OK because I sell peppers to people who want to try new things, so I at least get my money out of the short term investment. That is, unless I want to buy these newly offered Bhutlahs, which don't allow for possible recuperation. (At this point, I'm just going to buy seeds from Duffy that says the one he has is just like the better SM genetics, I think he got them from Chad) I think Douglahs got a bad rep because some genetics were not that great tasting. I saw somewhere they were rated at 1.8 something. If that is true, they are pretty dam hot, and worthy of the people looking for the hottest peppers. A lot of these new hot chocolates look pretty badass, and make great for propaganda pictures, but if you go for taste, they aren't as good as a Douglahs. Hell, Douglahs aren't even all that bumpy. Most of my customers are using the peppers for sauce and jelly so looks mean nothing. Revive the mighty Douglah! Its worth talking about. Maybe I should cross two different Douglah plants and call the cross Super Douglahs and people will want them again! Tom

Just checked, my message area was full. I found some I have never seen before. I just found two offers for chocolate habs I needed last month. You should be able to message now.

Chocolate primo powder is really impressive. I just got back from deer hunting and decided to have a couple of eggs for breakfast. What better way to liven them up than a sprinkle of CPP. I can't wait to try it on eggs and backstrap.

cycadjungle said:
Just checked, my message area was full. I found some I have never seen before. I just found two offers for chocolate habs I needed last month. You should be able to message now.
Hi Tom, PM sent.

Back