• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Chocolate Primos

Just to be clear
Cappys doughlahs two seasons back were freakin brutal to even the best seasoned eater
If you werent there you missed it,Cappy is Hall of Fame Game IMO

cycadjungle said:
That's because it isn't new. There are lots of people who are just into what is new. I try a lot of new things. I find out they aren't anything special, and I move on. But the people selling what is new got my money. But that is OK because I sell peppers to people who want to try new things, so I at least get my money out of the short term investment. That is, unless I want to buy these newly offered Bhutlahs, which don't allow for possible recuperation. (At this point, I'm just going to buy seeds from Duffy that says the one he has is just like the better SM genetics, I think he got them from Chad) I think Douglahs got a bad rep because some genetics were not that great tasting. I saw somewhere they were rated at 1.8 something. If that is true, they are pretty dam hot, and worthy of the people looking for the hottest peppers. A lot of these new hot chocolates look pretty badass, and make great for propaganda pictures, but if you go for taste, they aren't as good as a Douglahs. Hell, Douglahs aren't even all that bumpy. Most of my customers are using the peppers for sauce and jelly so looks mean nothing. Revive the mighty Douglah! Its worth talking about. Maybe I should cross two different Douglah plants and call the cross Super Douglahs and people will want them again! Tom

My first experience with chocolates was this season growing Chocolate Moruga.

3 plants..grew about 3' x 3' wide, but only about 40 pods overall...I did get a late start on the 3rd..it still is in ground with a dozen green pods on it.

As for heat...intolerable to just eat a pod....Bitter...YES!

Didn't want to waste them so I put the entire batch in the oven on a pyrex dish 7 hrs @ 170*.

They retained most of their color and then put them into the magic bullet and pulverized em.

Much to my surprise the powder has a wonderful flavor and no bitter taste what so ever....I can't quit putting it on anything and in everything breakfast lunch dinner and Bloody mary's

Will be growing them again next season hoping to increase my yield just to get more of this wonderful Chocolate powder.

Masher said:
My first experience with chocolates was this season growing Chocolate Moruga.

3 plants..grew about 3' x 3' wide, but only about 40 pods overall...I did get a late start on the 3rd..it still is in ground with a dozen green pods on it.

As for heat...intolerable to just eat a pod....Bitter...YES!

Didn't want to waste them so I put the entire batch in the oven on a pyrex dish 7 hrs @ 170*.

They retained most of their color and then put them into the magic butter and pulverized em.

Much to my surprise the powder has a wonderful flavor and no bitter taste what so ever....I can't quit putting it on anything and in everything breakfast lunch dinner and Bloody mary's

Will be growing them again next season hoping to increase my yield just to get more of this wonderful Chocolate powder.

I have never know brown morugas to be bitter. They have a subtle sweetness to them that is hidden by the earthy tobaccoish flavors. I love em sliced thin on cold cut sandwiches and as you said just about everywhere powdered or fresh. If you really want to taste bitter, chocolate bubblegum fits that bill.

Thanks Cap, I think the first one I tried was still half greenish and under ripe....the sweetness definitely came through with the powder...used it in chicken veg soup the first day. Couldn't believe how much flavor and sweetness it added to it.

Good to know about choc bbg....Will avoid growing it.

Masher said:
Thanks Cap, I think the first one I tried was still half greenish and under ripe....the sweetness definitely came through with the powder...used it in chicken veg soup the first day. Couldn't believe how much flavor and sweetness it added to it.

NO, dont avoid growing something cause someone elses opinion. I still haven't made choc BBG powder yet. powder changes everything. You owe it to yourself to try whatever you can.

Masher said:

big mistake , cbbg powder is a really  great powder ,   i'll be growing more !    :party:
CAPCOM said:

NO, dont avoid growing something cause someone elses opinion. I still haven't made choc BBG powder yet. powder changes everything. You owe it to yourself to try whatever you can.
great advice bro ! 

My favorites are chocolates for sure. Jamaican Hot Chocolates and Fatali are off the hook and so are the morugas. Most likely this coming season the only supers I will be growing will be chocolates. I'm overwintering my moruga and might grow the douglah. 

Chocolate peppers KILL my stomach! I don't know why. The culprits are Brown Moruga, Chocolate Lava, and Chocolate Sporpion. Talk about stomach cramps.  I do like Chocolate Bhuts and Chocolate Habaneros. They seem to be ok on my stomach and taste great.

cycadjungle said:
Cappy's chocolate brain strain is pretty good, but then I have had the CBS that came from Duffy that was hot, but plain and bitter tasting.

I grew out 2 Chocolate Brain Strains this year that were purchased from Jim Duffy, and I found the pods to be the opposite of what you experienced.  They weren't really all that hot, but the flavor was actually quite pleasant.

I am definitely interested in getting my hands on some seeds of Cappy's CBS though.  I'd like to grow them both out and compare pods.

Hawaiianero said:
I've found the chocolate habanero, although not considered a super hot, is a very tasty pepper. To me it's the best tasting habanero there is.

I'm right there with you.  I first learned about the Chocolate Habanero when I tried Heartbreaking Dawns' 1542 Southwestern Habanero Sauce, and my appreciation of that sauce was my primary motivator for growing them this year.  Now that I've grown my own, I'm definitely hooked on them, and I'm sure I'll be growing them out every year for the foreseeable future.

They go great in crock pot chili, BTW.

Back