• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Choosing HID bulbs

one bulb can cover an area containing that many plants through it's whole cycle? I'm assuming as much window sunlight was used as well. I'm looking to buy a light system for this winter (mainly just to get things rolling February - May). I'm definitely not looking to spend too much money either.

what kind of area does a 400watt bulb cover? a few feet by a few feet, or even more than that?

I should think 3' x 3' well. Obviously the higher you raise it the more space it will cover but its then not as bright to the plants.

Making a grow closet and lining with reflective material is by far the best method for not wasting energy.

Here you can get a 400w bulb, reflector and magnetic ballast for £70

Chris

I was just referring to some stuff I've grown under my lamp over time - not necessarily all at once!

: O

Yes, well I suppose it would depend on what kind of reflector you were using and other factors too, but my 400 W sheds over a 4 by 4 foot area. I usually put my seedlings on the outer edges because they don't need strong light.

I also replace my bulb regularily to keep it shining bright. I dust the bulb too every week because it can build up and interfere with brightness as well.

Good luck picking a system that is right for you. Don't let anyone tell you what to buy - it's a personal choice. Do some research and find what you like and what best suits yours needs.

I spent a bit on my system, but it was worth every penny. My bulb is not cheap either, at 85 bucks a shot! I love it though, and get so much out of it. Very rewarding.

: )

i'm liking those charts posted by LGHT. seems like this science of growing peppers can get pretty damn complicated. lots of stuff to think about, but then again, if it was that easy, where would the real enjoyment come from?

Not sure about what you mean, when you say complicated? To me, growing peppers is the easiest thing in the world...

DSCI0455-2.jpg

Ballzworth said:
i'm liking those charts posted by LGHT. seems like this science of growing peppers can get pretty damn complicated. lots of stuff to think about, but then again, if it was that easy, where would the real enjoyment come from?

I totally agree. I think just about anyone can "grow" peppers. In fact I had a plant that was 2 seconds away from going into the trash because it was only 3" and my other plants had gotten to 2' in the same amount of time. Instead of tossing it I put it in a 10 gallon where I already had a huge TS growing and figured it had some spare space. In less than a month it's doubled in size to 6" but what's even more odd is the plant has over 10 pods on it each one from 2-3" long. All that from a grunt I was about to toss in the trash. Goes to show even the worse of plants will produce pods.

Here is the post http://www.thehotpepper.com/showthread.php?t=13747

However my goal isn't to get a few pods I want to grow Monster trees that can produce over 1,000+ pods per season. I've seen pictures of these 6' tall 3' wide trees here so I know it is possible. So far I have a 3x3' tree with a few hundred pods so I'm on my way. Since this is my first season I decided to grow in soil only, but next year I'll dedicate my grow room to a hydro system. I did quit a bit of research and have a good grasp at growing peppers, but I'll have to read a few more books on hydro and pick up some auto dosers for next years hydro project.

The science side of it is not for everyone, but if your interested check out the THE MAXIMUM YEILD tons of good articles, charts, graphs, on growing indoors and the THE GROWING EDGE that's a good overall resource.

Good luck.

Thanks for the great information, LGHT.

I too, have a good grasp on growing peppers, but I am not interested in growing huge massive trees like you. However, it is nice to hear about what other people are interested in and what others are doing as well. We all have different needs and tastes, and I never compare one gardener to another.

I am mostly interested in growing peppers for their ornamental beauty, not for massive yields, but I have seen pictures of hydroponic grown capsicum plants and it is enough to make one's jaw drop, I must admit!

: O

I would love to see pics of your plants later, LGHT. Good luck with your grow room...

Here's a shot of my outdoor pot of mixed peppers. I love the ornamental beauty of growing many different types in one pot. These ones are just getting going, but will be loaded shortly. I've been growing peppers for years, and I just love them...

DSCI0670-3.jpg

sometimes it's just a plain mystery too. you ignore a few of the extras and they're growing great, and you baby some like your prized possessions and they just don't do what you want them to.

I'd also love to have massive plants growing outside next year like LGHT is talking about. Sometimes you just want to get the most you can out of it. Plus if I master that, then I won't have to plant 40 smaller plants with minimal yields hoping for the best.

Ultimately I'm happy if there's peppers at my disposal...big or small.

Someone who's interested in massive yields should definitely grow this type - one of my favorites called 'Fire Cracker'. It produces like crazy under my lamp...

user33492_pic108_1227694507_thumb.jpg
user33492_pic109_1227694507_thumb.jpg

This was a great thread! I know it's old, but I am glad I found this information. I was about to give up finding anything about growing peppers indoors. Almost all the information i've found focuses on starting plants indoors then finishing them outdoors. I'm in an apartment with no balcony so I don't really have a choice! Thanks for all the information! This gives me a good place to start :)

I was in the same situation somewhat. I do have some patio space, but it was very limited, but I did have an extra empty closet where I was able to outgrow the plants outside with the right equipment. My only problem is I started off with 6 plants in a closet and I had to move all, but 2 outside because each plant was about 3' tall and 4' wide!!

Check out the website maximum yield. I spent countless amount of hours reading when I got started. If your close to Florida there is a place you can get some great gear for penny's on the dollar!! In fact I picked up several eye hortilux bulbs from florida for $1.00 and just paid for shipping.

Back