• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

Chuk Hell's Magic Blend #2

The Hot Pepper

Founder
Admin
Sauce Reviewed: Chuk Hell's Magic Blend #2
Company: No company, homemade sauces for now.
Member: Chuk Hell
By: TheHotPepper.com

Ingredients: Habaneros, garlic, onion, carrots, lime juice, ginger, whiskey, honey, apple cider vinegar, salt, black pepper.

First Impression
I was very excited to get a package containing three sauces from Chuk. The first I tasted was the Magic Blend #2. Whoa! Let me start by saying that Chuk ain't afraid to be bold! After all he is from Texas! What do I mean by bold? Well, there isn't a hint of whiskey, this almost tastes like a cocktail! Is that a good thing or a bad thing? Do you like whiskey? That is the question. I do! Chuk, I can tell you didn't use cheap whiskey either. Tastes like a top shelf brand, like Makers Mark may have been used.

Heat
The heat kicks you in the ass and tingles the lips. It's a nice heat level that will satisfy the heat lovers, but at the same time, it's a nice level for those who don't like extreme heat.

Taste
This is a sweet sauce. The addition of lime and honey gives it a hot marmalade kinda vibe (taste, not consistency). I believe he throws whole peppercorns into the food processor, because the pepper tastes fresh and the sauce is speckled with different sizes of pepper. I tried this on a chicken sandwich and it added some good heat and a nice flavor.

Applications
Good for chicken and pork, and lots of other things. I can see this going nicely with a pork chop, taking the place of apple sauce.

Overall
Chuk says this is one of his sauces that will go into production. I can see this being very popular. I would say to reduce the whiskey a little for production though, unless that is your specialty, and this is going to be known as a whiskey sauce. Then, it's perfect, cuz that's just what this is. I noticed the other sauce is a tequila sauce... holy ****, can't wait!

Attachments

• chukhell2.JPG
    chukhell2.JPG
    280.2 KB · Views: 221
Wow! Thanks for the in-depth review and I'm glad you liked the sauce. I am honored.

You are the first person to mention the whisky being so up-front. I've noticed everyone tastes differently. There's only a few ounces in each batch.

The whisky I use is Evan Williams which is not nearly as good as Makers but I think is a nice balance between quality and price. The tequila in the smoked sauce is Curevo's Tradicional, 100% Blue agave....as all tequila should be!

chuk hell said:
Wow! Thanks for the in-depth review and I'm glad you liked the sauce. I am honored.

You are the first person to mention the whisky being so up-front. I've noticed everyone tastes differently. There's only a few ounces in each batch.

The whisky I use is Evan Williams which is not nearly as good as Makers but I think is a nice balance between quality and price. The tequila in the smoked sauce is Curevo's Tradicional, 100% Blue agave....as all tequila should be!
No problem Chuk. Hey, have you tried your sauce after it's been in a jar for a few weeks? I'm just wondering if then you'll taste (and smell) the whiskey component a little differently. Just curious.

No...actually I haven't..... after it's been in the fridge but not the stuff I canned...the "extra" I save for my consumption. That's a good idea though. I'll have to do that.

chuk hell said:

The admin is just a wuss!:) He drinks alot of Kool-Aide

Nice Chuck!!! I'll have to do a trade with you when I get some time. Seems like I've been doing nothing but work!!!

I'll send you the "Gift Pack" just for fun.

chuk hell said:

Dude...when are you gonna start selling this stuff? The idea of having to drive to Texas to buy some is just not sitting too well with me. Especially since i can't just make a "weekender" out of it.

Chuk, I have to say that I think you are being unfair to the world. I keep reading about your sauces, but are they available to dedicated chileheads? Nope. Don't hide your light under a bushel...share it with the world. And me. Please.

Josh

Thanks for your interest guys! I am humbled.

Hopefully by sometime early in 2007 my sauce will be a legit product. I've got a hell of a lot to learn...about running my own bussiness..legalities..financing...the FDA, etc. For a doofus like me it's sort of like trying to teach a dog to drive a car.

I used all of this sauce. Good stuff. The whiskey vibe faded and wasn't as prominent this time, so maybe it's that initial tasting and aroma when just opening the jar that makes it seem overpowering. Let it breathe a little. :)

chuk hell said:
Thanks for your interest guys! I am humbled.

Hopefully by sometime early in 2007 my sauce will be a legit product. I've got a hell of a lot to learn...about running my own bussiness..legalities..financing...the FDA, etc. For a doofus like me it's sort of like trying to teach a dog to drive a car.

Hey! My dog drives just fine, pal!:)

Actually, i have to get to Texas to visit some good friends in the next few months...how far away from Waco are ya?

That's Chuk's dog after licking the whiskey sauce.

Back