• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

frutescens "Chunpepe" a delicious wild C.frutescens from Honduras

This one was from Ajijoe, Another odd one from Joe that I really appreciate!

So, the story behind this one is this, in Joe`s own words. "My ex boss was from Honduras and had relatives of his bring some wild picked pods back for me, he knew how much of a chilehead I am! "Chunpepe" is the local name for it and a few other hot wild species from Honduras. It actually named after a cryptozoological beast (a mythical monster turkey like creature), sort of a Honduran Chupacabre or Bigfoot, if you will

It has the accession number PI406847. 

My benchmark for C.frutescens is the Donne sali. I can honestly say this one has just as good a flavour, but is a lot hotter. I`d say just a little hotter than a Orange Habanero. They really are truly delicious and   :hot:

I will be growing these for certain next year. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sT9kztiyeAo&feature=youtu.be

Double the pleasure; double the heat; bite two quick; before they bite you

Great---love your reviews

Great reveiw again Nigel!  Next year is the first time I will be growing any frutescens other than the obvious tobasco pepper.  You are making me look forward to it :)

this one is a tasty pepper

my Ex Boss was from Honduras and he told me that they are very hot, it was his fav growing up there

the name Chunpepe is its local name and names after a CRYTOZOOLOGICAL animal that is a monster turkey, kind of a Honduran Bigfoot or Chupacabra if you will

the pods where brought back by my Ex bosses relatives after he told them about me

nigel what can i say?? awesome review!! glad you liked it

thanks your friend Joe

Zackorz said:

I know this thread is a little bit older, but do you maybe have any "chunpepe" seeds for trade? "Ajijoe" seems not to be active at the moment.

I`m sorry to say that when I grew out the seeds they were crossed, so sorry, I can`t help you. If I could I would!

Nigel said:

I`m sorry to say that when I grew out the seeds they were crossed, so sorry, I can`t help you. If I could I would!

I was gonna offer the same seeds you sent me. But I can confirm. They were crossed. ...

Can you tell by a photo if they were crossed? This is what I grew last year. Seeds were donated by Ryan Dulac at the end of 2014. These pods were pretty hot and had a nice flavor. This is the first frutescens I have tried raw, so I have little to compare to and can in no way distinguish if this was a cross or not. I have seeds available if anyone wants them.

H4e77ZN.jpg

cloudhand said:
Can you tell by a photo if they were crossed? This is what I grew last year. Seeds were donated by Ryan Dulac at the end of 2014. These pods were pretty hot and had a nice flavor. This is the first frutescens I have tried raw, so I have little to compare to and can in no way distinguish if this was a cross or not. I have seeds available if anyone wants them.

H4e77ZN.jpg

Its looks like it was crossed with a chinense. How big is  it? Btw. looks delicious :-P

Zackorz said:

Its looks like it was crossed with a chinense. How big is  it? Btw. looks delicious :-P

You may be right about it being a cross. Size was between 1-2 inches. It looks fatter than then ones in Nigel's video. It was a very good tasting pepper and had some nice heat. Flavor wise, it was different than the chinenses I grew, but it still could have crossed.

cloudhand said:

You may be right about it being a cross. Size was between 1-2 inches. It looks fatter than then ones in Nigel's video. It was a very good tasting pepper and had some nice heat. Flavor wise, it was different than the chinenses I grew, but it still could have crossed.

I looks like it has a much bigger wallsize than normally, interesting one :-)

I got mine from Nigel. Didn't know they were crossed. They tasted so good. That's unfortunate, but it might be worth stabilizing. Were your pods also erect?

Dulac said:
I got mine from Nigel. Didn't know they were crossed. They tasted so good. That's unfortunate, but it might be worth stabilizing. Were your pods also erect?

They were erect, but turned as they are getting bigger.

Im curious about this years fruits.

It took  a long time for my plant to get the first flower and i wonder if it will fall off or the first fruit will set.

Dulac said:

No, like Zackorz, the pods on my plant started erect but ended up being too large to stay erect. I sent Zackorz some of the original seeds you sent me (which apparently are an F1 cross) as well as some of the F2 seeds from my plant. Last year he had some very nice phenotypes.

I did not try regrowing from the F2 seeds due to limited grow space and being cut from the grow list (too many other varieties to try).

By the way, I am still selectively growing out your 7JPN x Moruga cross and have a very nice pheno that has dark leaves and almost black pods that ripen to red. It is currently at F5. The plant is gorgeous and the pods are very good... both fresh and in powder form... definitely one of my favorite peppers.

Zackorz said:

They were erect, but turned as they are getting bigger.

Im curious about this years fruits.

It took  a long time for my plant to get the first flower and i wonder if it will fall off or the first fruit will set.

Are you talking about the cross or the USDA chunpepe seeds I sent you last year.  This year I started 4 plants from the USDA seeds. 1 was culled early on because it was way behind the other seedlings. I gave 2 away to coworkers and kept 1 (the largest). After hardening and planting out in late May, it stopped growing and has not gotten any bigger than it was at the end of May. For what ever reason it is not growing and has not even begun flowering. All of my other plants have set pods and some even have ripe pods on them. My coworkers have reported back last week that their chunpepe plants are similar to mine... not growing and not flowering yet. If it is still alive at the end of the season, I will over winter it... but it is unlikely to produce any pods this year at the rate it is going... I'm hoping it will kick in and take off soon...

Hopefully yours are doing better!

cloudhand said:

No, like Zackorz, the pods on my plant started erect but ended up being too large to stay erect. I sent Zackorz some of the original seeds you sent me (which apparently are an F1 cross) as well as some of the F2 seeds from my plant. Last year he had some very nice phenotypes.

I did not try regrowing from the F2 seeds due to limited grow space and being cut from the grow list (too many other varieties to try).

By the way, I am still selectively growing out your 7JPN x Moruga cross and have a very nice pheno that has dark leaves and almost black pods that ripen to red. It is currently at F5. The plant is gorgeous and the pods are very good... both fresh and in powder form... definitely one of my favorite peppers.

Are you talking about the cross or the USDA chunpepe seeds I sent you last year.  This year I started 4 plants from the USDA seeds. 1 was culled early on because it was way behind the other seedlings. I gave 2 away to coworkers and kept 1 (the largest). After hardening and planting out in late May, it stopped growing and has not gotten any bigger than it was at the end of May. For what ever reason it is not growing and has not even begun flowering. All of my other plants have set pods and some even have ripe pods on them. My coworkers have reported back last week that their chunpepe plants are similar to mine... not growing and not flowering yet. If it is still alive at the end of the season, I will over winter it... but it is unlikely to produce any pods this year at the rate it is going... I'm hoping it will kick in and take off soon...

Hopefully yours are doing better!

Sad to hear that your plants dont grow well.

My plant is fine.
At the beginning it grew slowly but  now it is has a good size.
The flowering began very late. The plant has about 5 flowers now and the first flower fell off and showed the first small fruit.

I will post a picture tomorrow.

Back