• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

soil Cinnamon as antifungal on surface soil

After I planted up to the red solo cups I used some fish/seaweed liquid fertilizer and a couple days later noticed some fungus starting to grow on the surface. I added cinnamon to the suface soil which solved the problem.

Now to the question: should I remove that top layer of soil with the cinnamon on it if I decide to top water so that it doesn't seep deeper into the soil and mess up the growing medium? I'm using Promix HP by the way.

Nah, you can leave it and all will be fine. No need to remove.

Chamomile tea (1 tea bag steeped in 4 cups water) works great for fungus, mold and dampening off as well. I spray it on the surface of my seedling trays once a week during and after germination up until I put them in solo cups. It has anti fungal properties just like cinnamon. You can even use it to bottom water. Just an alternative if you're still worried about the cinnamon. Might be a little easier than sprinkling cinnamon especially if you have a bunch of plants to do

I think the green that develops will help breakdown the plant nutrients... It says that on the back of Alaska tomato food

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

solid7 said:
Do you know that it's actually a harmful fungus? Some fungii will help your plant to grow...
Nope, couldn't say. It looked like very fine spider webs all around the area that I fertilized. They are still in the grow tent since temperatures still drop at night. Was 39 here last night.

Maligator said:
Nope, couldn't say. It looked like very fine spider webs all around the area that I fertilized. They are still in the grow tent since temperatures still drop at night. Was 39 here last night.
I wouldn't do anything about that... That be beneficial.

Back