• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Citrus Trees

Just kidding! But I did get three fruit trees today, all dwarfs. Lemon, orange and tangerine, to go with my banana tree upstairs. Still need to get apple and cherry and possibly a lime. The lemon has a bloom already.

Mike

I strarted 3 lime seed from seeds I got squeezing key limes and all are doing well so far. It may take me 8 years to see the first fruit if ever but the seedlings are very cool so far. I must to get a banana tree or two. Got aloe and cactus spreading like mint won't have room but for just a few to overwinter. Peppers get the best sunny locations in the house.

When I was a young lad, I planted a few orange seeds and they grew, I use to keep them inside the house in the winter and outside in summer, when I went away to college my parents forgot about them outside and they died. I will never forget the sharp pointy needles - they never did bare fruit.

This year, to teach my girls about growing I planted some orange and apple seeds, 1 orange has sprouted and three apple. I then planted 3 cherry seeds, the cherry was from washington, state but I can't remember the variety. My purpose in planting the cherry was to grow the tree large enough to graft branches onto my native Nanking cherry trees to see if I can produce fruit that are not native to my area - none have sprouted.

I find growing them in pots is better then in the ground as can get them to fruit even when small. But friends with them in ground have no luck getting the small ones to fruit or grow very good. You also need heat as here is +30 or more all the time. Have heard they don't do so well in +25, not hot enough.

This site has some decent prices on dwarf trees but I got my other ones from Michigan Bulb, which is in Indiana and has a Cincinnati (OH) phone number. $5 each for the Lemon, Tangerine and Orange. I figure by the time I'm done, and I get an apple, cherry, lime, peach and pineapple tree, plus two grape plants to go with my banana, orange,lemon and tangerine plants I will have about $75 invested. Not cheap, but no more than I spent on veggie seed this spring. Plus, if I can get fruit within nine months, I can make over half of that back just exhibiting stuff at the fair!

Mike

From reading the descriptions and conditions needed to grow plants, most of these should be fine in the ground. I know apple, cherry, peach, lime and grapes will survive Zone 5 or 6 (we just moved up to 6 this year). The pineapple, lemon, tangerine, orange and banana trees will have to go in containers as they are cold-hardy to 25-30, and we usually have a few day of minus single digit temps, though a -10 to -15 is not rare. But I can bring them inside. I can see replacing the artificial Christmas tree with a orange tree!

Mike

I moved my lemon tree from its comfy potting mix cell home to a DWC bucket last night. I'm hoping it develops water roots soon but until it does, my orange and tangerine plants are staying in a potting mix!

Mike

My dwarf lemon tree gives me a few lemons every year, but they always start fruiting as it gets cold and have to ripen indoors over the winter. Another plant you may want to consider growing is the dwarf pomegranate which seems very easy to grow although I've only had one small fruit so far on mine

Back