• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Close up of Stuck Seed

MrArboc said:
I beg to differ. The chileplants most of us grow are domesticated, the result of human selection - not natural selection.
Most modern plants are the result of some human interference, it doesn't mean they're not natural.

Here's a very interesting lecture that suggests the idea humans are just another part of nature, just like the bees and everything else is:

Omri said:
Most modern plants are the result of some human interference, it doesn't mean they're not natural.

It all boils down to what we mean by natural. I'm not interested in a debate really, but judging by previous, similar debates I've had I'm somewhat of a purist and very careful about using the term "natural" when it comes to my plants, aquarium or dog:)

If others think they have a piece of the wild in their garden that's fine - I just dont agree:P

MrArboc said:
It all boils down to what we mean by natural. I'm not interested in a debate really, but judging by previous, similar debates I've had I'm somewhat of a purist and very careful about using the term "natural" when it comes to my plants, aquarium or dog:)

If others think they have a piece of the wild in their garden that's fine - I just dont agree:P

I agree with you. The term "natural" is routinely bent over and buggered up its poo hole around here. When I use the term, I try and qualify it by saying I do things as naturally "as possible" because I recognize that what I am actually doing is giving nature a hard shove, a stern lecture, and the occasional poke with a sharp stick to get her to go in the direction I want.

I mean, I'm starting out by trying to grow a tropical domesticated plant in a temperate zone. Then I pack them into my garden far more densely than they would grow in nature, and have to add a fertilizer to compensate for the density. Even though the fertilizer is organic, it's not natural. Fish simply do not routinely leap on the shore dragging strands of kelp, wriggle into my garden, and bury themselves at the base of a plant.

It amazes me how we get so off topic around here. Not complaining, just making an observation.

I'm happy to say it's off. I kept it under the dome, all hot and moist. Checked on it this a.m. and found it no longer a concrn.

Thanks for the suggestions gang. They are much appreciated.:)

Back