• We welcome content that is not political, divisive, or offensive. If we feel your content leans this way or has the potential to, it may be removed at any time. A hot pepper forum is not the place for such content. Thank you for respecting the community!

Coco coir used as deterrent?

I have a dog that will dig under the fence if left unsupervised for an extended amount of time. Usually I go and fill the holes with dirt and wait till he digs it back up. This gets old after awhile and I'm thinking about burying bricks along the fence line. Anyways about three weeks ago I used some extra coco coir I had to fill the holes where he dug and to my surprise he hasn't tried to dig in those spots again. I know coco has the ability to repel certain pest but is it possible it may help keep animals away?

winland said:
You can use his stool to fill the holes.
Works and is free.
I know dogs and dog behavior.
Oh yeah he hates his own stool. Its funny to watch him tip toe around makin sure not to get none on his paws. Its a good idea but in summertime that will bring alot of flies. Hopefully I break him of that by then.

They don't like hot pepper powder.I read somewhere about putting pepper powder in the hole that a dog dug.They will not dig them out again.I know it might sound a little mean,but being hit by a car is a lot worse.

Dogs can be stubborn. Mine ate about three 3 or 4 peqin peppers off my plant before he figured out he doesn't like the burn of the peppers. I started this thread to focus on not how to stop my dog from digging but why he doesn't dig in the coco. Is there something more to coco that we don't know? Has anybody else made these kind of observations?

Grass Snake said:
Oh yeah he hates his own stool. Its funny to watch him tip toe around makin sure not to get none on his paws. Its a good idea but in summertime that will bring alot of flies. Hopefully I break him of that by then.

If he is digging a hole, put the stool in the hole and cover it with the dirt that he dug out.
He will still know that it is there and it will not draw flies.

Grass Snake said:
Dogs can be stubborn. Mine ate about three 3 or 4 peqin peppers off my plant before he figured out he doesn't like the burn of the peppers. I started this thread to focus on not how to stop my dog from digging but why he doesn't dig in the coco. Is there something more to coco that we don't know? Has anybody else made these kind of observations?
Quite a few years ago, i lost all the epidermis from both hands working with potassium permanganate. All skin was soft, pink and hypersensitive. Oops...
...Shortly after, i tried rehydrating my first brick of choir, for some epiphytic cacti. As it bulked and disintegrated, i tried kneading and crushing it into suspension, and quickly found that my hand had a reddened quite-irritated aspect, particulary on the parts of my hand that were pressure-bearing while squeezing mushy coir brick.
Conclusion: Sensitive skin can get micro-lesions from the tiny sliver like particles that are a significant portion of the total bulk.

I suspect the skin between a dog's toes might be comparably sensitive... my hand itched madly for the next few hours, and a dog might have similar experiences.
With a normal unblemished epidermis, i never encountered that itch again, but i always use about 5 quarts of boiling water on a coir brick about a half-hour before i add more soak water. The 'retting' fermentation process is anaerobic, underwater... it involves very large numbers of unknown microbes. I decided that it was safer to heat-treat it thus.
It should still deter dogs from digging. Those wood-like short fibres are still stiff and mildly prickly.

Interesting theory Mikeg that would not surprise me if thats the reason my dog stays away. I imagine the skin on a dogs nose is very sensitive as well and if they feel something out of the ordinary their senses will tell them to stay back. I like the way you think Mikeg. My guesses were more towards the scent but what you say makes more sense. Thanks for the input!

Back