• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Coconut milk in hot sauce

I have been making a coconut milk based hot sauce that is fantastic! Problem is that it spoils after a month or so. I refrigerate it but it still does this. I am no pro at culinary arts so don't really know how to fix that if there is a way. It includes whole limes, habs, and a few other spices/herbs.

Thanks for any info.

My daughter came over for dinner the other night from her dorm and she had a bottle of Coconut Water with her. She poured me a little to try and it was pretty good. I happened upon this thread while I was looking back through old post and thought that the Coconut Water might be a great way to incorporate the coconut into a sauce without haveing to worry about the issues that come with Coconut Milk. Just remember that the Coconut flavor is a bit milder though.

Cheers,
RM

I used some coconut milk in my Tropical Death Sauce and so far so good no issues. It's hot packed and sealed though, and the coconut milk is actually a small part of the recipe. Ingredients are funny, sometimes you put something in and it gets lost in there and you're like, I could've just done it without that.

While it’s been said AFAIK the canned stuff is pasteurized; they use ultra-high temperature (UHT) pasteurization to ensure product is free of harmful microorganisms. Are you making your own coconut milk? Regardless I believe what others have stated should work, also a great seal would help extend life.

I use my coconuts to make rice, Thai red curry and yellow curry. They taste great when fresh as compared to bottled or canned stuff but I’ve never tried in my hot sauces. Thanks for the idea, I’ll have to experiment.

100_4553.jpg

... Some Caribbean Rum perhaps??
Also make a lot of these :)
w/rum
100_3640L.jpg

100_2366.jpg

Back