• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Comfrey cuttings

I'm looking into starting a few comfrey plants in the garden, from what I hear they're a great way to fertilize your plants. Apparently you want to buy a variety called bocking 14 (as its sterile so your garden won't be overrun). I was wondering tho, whether I'd be able to start new plants from cuttings, so I could just buy the one plant initially, then build up to several. I've never grown it before so any help would be appreciated.

Cheers guys

i want to add a question in for anyone that may know,

since bocking 14 is sterile, wouldnt you run the risk of the bocking flowers cross contaminating other plants, preventing you from saving seeds?

I'm not positive but I don't think so. Comfrey is a weed so can't see it crossing with other plants (although cud be wrong) but also I guess the pollen (if any is produced) is inert. As I say though I'm not positive, I bloody hope it doesn't ; )

i have a comfrey tea with seaweed on the go right now, it is about 2 weeks old and is slow at breaking down, the seaweed however is almost mush. i am guessing another 2 weeks before i attempt to use it.

i have my comfrey in containers, it is not as invasive as some plants, at least not my variety but i am not going to let it escape to find out because i have so many other invasive species that i am still trying to get rid of.

good growing

Burning Colon said:
i have a comfrey tea with seaweed on the go right now, it is about 2 weeks old and is slow at breaking down, the seaweed however is almost mush. i am guessing another 2 weeks before i attempt to use it.

i have my comfrey in containers, it is not as invasive as some plants, at least not my variety but i am not going to let it escape to find out because i have so many other invasive species that i am still trying to get rid of.

good growing
Hi BC (love the name btw) I was thinking of adding some seaweed when I get to that stage, I bet that bin smells fantastic right about now? ; )

Wow. I wish I had some growing. Had a bad slip and fall in my greenhouse and broke 2 ribs on my potting table. Wiki quote "One of the country names for comfrey was knitbone, a reminder of its traditional use in healing bone fractures. Modern science confirms that comfrey can influence the course of bone ailments." I will be picking some up from well sweep farms soon. Thanks

just a beautiful day in Calgary, Alberta, Canada at the base of the Rocky Mountains - which are still ice capped.

....any who, thought i would snap a pic for ya folks.  here is a potted sample of my comfrey(the one i could move for the picture) and my comfrey/seaweed tea, i gave it a stir to see if i could enhance its presence for the photo. in about a week, i will add a goop of molasses and add the air stone, that should get it brewing!

With the addition of the air stone, the molasses will serve as a food source for aerobic microbes (the good guys) so they can multiply exponentially in the tea.

I've been meaning to put some comfrey in the ground. I've heard permaculture practitioners refer to it as a "slow flowing nitrogen fountain".

compmodder26 said:
With the addition of the air stone, the molasses will serve as a food source for aerobic microbes (the good guys) so they can multiply exponentially in the tea.
Awesome to know, I'm getting me sum molasses and an air stone then. I've just bought a young plant and 5 root cuttings, the root cuttings arrived today so I'm gonna start them off in pots then get them in a suitable place in the ground.

My gardens got a solid layer of chalk about a foot down so I'm thinking of planting them on the land behind my house (might be illegal but I'll have to go horticultural ninja on they ass). No one ever goes there so they should be alright.

Back