• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Comida South America!

For a long time now South American food, esp Peruvian, has held a special place in my heart. Recently i was generously given a gift of a couple of Rocoto sauces from friends overseas. So I thought id start this thread in hopes to learn more about the cuisine and also try my hand a little more often to cook some of their dishes.

tonights dinner is a couple of my Peruvian favorites:

*Anticuchos - Traditionally beef heart is used.... i used blade steak marinated in 1/2C vinegar, 2T Aji Panca paste, garlic, scotch bonnett, oregano, cumin
*Ajiaco de Papas- 1/2 onion diced and sauteed in butter/oil, add 200g of diced halloumi (or queso fresco), add 3T Aji Amarillo paste, 1/2C stock, 1/2C evaporated milk. Stir and mash in 1kg of cooked potatoes.
*Others - Rice, Salsa Criolla (onion) and one of my favorite beers, Cusquena Negra.

2015-01-25%2012.30.30_zpsvhiq7cib.jpg

2015-01-25%2014.00.14_zpsgtgsntvp.jpg

Ok, i checked out the recipes. I can do that. Only drawback is i cant get fresh aji amarillo. I do have canned aji amarillo peppers. Inca's Food brand. I can get VERY good amarillo paste too. The last one i got was rather mild but i loved the flavor.

REALLY good paste but rather mild....Pretty much nothing but the peppers. Only has citric acid added.
https://www.amazon.com/Zocalo-Peru-Organic-Amarillo-Chili/dp/B003D0MP3O/ref=sr_1_8?crid=3VP8TXW4FPS77&th=1

Our market has the Belmont brand of pastes as well as Inca's Food. They have way less sodium than Inca's. Around 80mg vs over 250mg. I tried the Belmont panca paste and i thought it was very good. WAY cheaper than the Zocalo on Amazon too.

Just peppers, salt and citric acid.
https://www.amazon.com/Belmont-Amarillo-Yellow-Pepper-Paste/dp/B004T9CJSY

SMDS, I usually use the paste as it is what I have on hand, but if you are looking for other options, you could make your own paste relatively easy if you can get your hands on some dried pods (Aji Mirasol). It could possibly be more cost effective too.

I do see the mirasol peppers available occasionally. Im going to try the Belmont amarillo paste next time i go to the market. This year im only growing sugar rush peach for a baccatum....Bolsa de dulce too but its a Aji Joe hybrid.

I should have tons of aji pancas this year. Went from 1 plant to at least 5. I could plant 10 if i had the room. I guess i can check "little Mexico" soon. There is one market down there i didnt checkout that well last time. The other one didnt have any but it is much smaller too.

Aji amarillo paste will work for aji de gallina. It's obviously not as good as quality home grown peppers, but I have had some good aji de gallina made with aji amarillo paste.

Im far from a chef but with tons of practice ive found some things i can make better than ive had any local restaurant. Peruvian food around here is insanely expensive to eat out. A lunch portion of aji de gallina is about $12-14. Dinner size is pushing $19. Plus only 2 places serve it. Neither place is close. Other than the peppers being harder to get thats a crazy price for a plate of "creamed chicken", potatoes and rice. Feijoada.....$16!!!!!

I can feed 3 or more at some of these prices using very high quality ingredients.

Threads like this make me look for uncommon cuisine. I just found this place. Its not too far and they have a lunch buffet. Reviews look good. All i can eat for $12....Oh yeah...that i must try.
https://www.yelp.com/biz/brasilia-saint-louis

Leche de tigre two different ways.

Aji limo based leche de tigre with shrimp.

Aji charapita and aji limo based leche de pantera with conchas negras (blood clams).

Attachments

• 20190519_215104.jpg
    20190519_215104.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 85
  • 20190519_174153.jpg
    20190519_174153.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 77
  • 20190519_215307.jpg
    20190519_215307.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 79
  • 20190519_181154.jpg
    20190519_181154.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 76
  • 20190519_215621.jpg
    20190519_215621.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 73
  • 20190519_215753.jpg
    20190519_215753.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 77
https://imgur.com/a/J1Q3rQt
Sorry if the link doesnt work right...

Eagerly awaiting the birth of my new son or daughter!!!
I figured whipping up some Aji de gallina would speed things along.
(Not that my wife would eat it, its just the commit to something time consuming)
Garden Ajis and homemade Aji Paste!

Thoughts and Prayers would be appreciated...Mama is going to be laboring with a cracked rib

Damn...anybody know how to make the link show from imgur on iOS? Sorry

Malarky said:
https://imgur.com/a/J1Q3rQt
Sorry if the link doesnt work right...

Eagerly awaiting the birth of my new son or daughter!!!
I figured whipping up some Aji de gallina would speed things along.
(Not that my wife would eat it, its just the commit to something time consuming)
Garden Ajis and homemade Aji Paste!

Thoughts and Prayers would be appreciated...Mama is going to be laboring with a cracked rib

Damn...anybody know how to make the link show from imgur on iOS? Sorry
That aji de gallina looks seriously awesome!

That's pretty cool that you are waiting to find out the sex of the baby. I hope your wife has a healthy and relatively pain free delivery. It's so exciting to have a new addition to the family so close!

142uhDp.jpg

Higado frito con ajiaco de papas. 

Chicken livers marinated in Aji Panca, olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic, cumin, cayenne powder, birds eye flakes, paprika and oregano..... shallow fried for 3-5 minutes...

Potataoes cooked with onion, garlic, cumin, s+p, aji amarillo paste, stock and evaporated milk...... halloumi and peas added towards the end..... 

Thx mate. A friend showed me how her mother prepared chicken livers about a year ago and its been a favorite of mine since. She serves it topped with lettuce dressed in lemon for a bit of freshness.

Back