• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Complimentary Growing

I grow Chillis for sauces. So I like to grow my other ingredients at the same time.

Featuring in my garden this year are, tomatoes, onions and some herbs as well as salad greens, potatoes, silver beet, beetroot and spring onions.

Garlic will have to wait till next year (plant in winter, harvest in summer) as I had some cloves ready to go but they got mouldy

Nice to see you growing all your own my friend as your end result will be that rare and lovely combination of a meal grown and made with your own hands and the taste must be great,Growing a lot more myself next year..This gardening thing is additive :)

I agree, it's wise to grow as much of what you need yourself - if you have the space. I'm with Talas, I won't just grow chilis, but toms, cucs, eggplants, herbs, onions, raddish and so on next year. Already got most of the seeds I need.

I didn't know that garlic needs to be planted in winter!? When should this be done, to have fresh garlic in summer??

Chiliac said:
I didn't know that garlic needs to be planted in winter!? When should this be done, to have fresh garlic in summer??

Yes, fresh garlic in summer:). Garlic actually like to grow in that kind of weather. After dried and cured, it can be store for half year.

POTAWIE said:
Here we plant garlic in October so it roots before freezing
Yea I have read to plant garlic in the fall as well. Cannot remember how deep but it is like 2&1/2 inches or something like that. Do a google search and you will find your answers.

Chiliac said:

The old adage is "Plant Garlic on the SHORTEST DAY of the Year - and harvest it on the LONGEST DAY of the year."

But that's just an indicator - they seem to winter well in the ground.

I'm sure I'll easily find more info, I just never thought about it, because I didn't know. Thanks again! You people just saved my garlic supply for 2009! :)

Brokensea said:
The old adage is "Plant Garlic on the SHORTEST DAY of the Year - and harvest it on the LONGEST DAY of the year."

But that's just an indicator - they seem to winter well in the ground.

Thats want an old gardening friend told me about Garlic to..Bring on December :)

I think the planting date depends on where you live. If I planted on the shortest day, I'd likely be shovelling snow only to find frozen tundra.

I grow just about everything, and used to have an obsession for tomatoes, chillies now of course!
Just got some cut and come again lettuce, carrots, radish, parsnips add beetroot in, cabbage, garlic and broad beans next.

Back