• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Compost tea plus what else?

Those of you who use compost tea, do you use fertilizers as well?
I know the tea provides beneficial Mychorrizae but it in itself is not nutrients for the plant, it is only a way of enabling the roots of the plant to take up more nutrients.
So I would imagine compost tea plus something like Earth Juice liquid fertilizer would be a good combo?
Not sure what may or may not affect the living organisms like the mychorrizae as it's a science that is a little difficult to grasp completely.

The compost tea is made of worm compost which contains fertilizers, right?

with that said, i add in bonemeal and humus while brewing the tea.

my dad uses stuff called "soilsoup" and when brewed it contains nutrients. i add alfalfa meal too for N. and every 4th watering i feed with with GH flora nova either grow of bloom. and so far so good.

I know the tea provides beneficial Mychorrizae but it in itself is not nutrients for the plant, it is only a way of enabling the roots of the plant to take up more nutrients.
So I would imagine compost tea plus something like Earth Juice liquid fertilizer would be a good combo?
Not sure what may or may not affect the living organisms like the mychorrizae as it's a science that is a little difficult to grasp completely.

Its all about two things that will determine the end product.

1. The compost you use.

2. The process in which you brew the tea.
Adding sugar.

I dont know much about teas but I do know about composting.
Yes compost teas have much nutritional value to them if the compost is right.

I know a gardener that composted their kitchen waste-fruit,veggie scraps, being very selective in what they put in it discluding any meat, bread. They only used this compost, no manure, just this compost from veggies and fruit scraps. Year after year in the same spot they produced great tomatoes.

If you look at what is in a banana peal composted it would provide a lot of nutrients, Ca and Mg, even sulfur and potassium.
Make sure your tea is to what you want. With a pepper plant in reproduction I would say the composted Banana peel as an example would be great as those are the nutrients peppers use while producing pods. So dont use anything high in N for your peppers.

this what i put in mine
2012-06-06065656.jpg

"mycorrhizae but it in itself is not nutrients for the plant"
True! but... It will help unlock some of the nutrients that are in the soil so that the plants can access them.

The ideas is to feed the soil not the plant. There are LOADS of good stuff in soil, but its is just not readily available.

Think of a stick... That stick has all kinds of stuff in it that is good, but it takes a while for it to break down and release the nutrients that are in it.
dsc04105.jpg

If you take that stick and put it in a zip lock bag it will take even longer,
why? because the microbes cant get to it to break it down.

My point is, you need to think of Organics differently than Synthetics, its not about N-P-K, instead its about bacteria and Fungi. The more bacteria and fungi you have, the more they can release nutrients in to your soil. This is the stuff plants want to eat, and it is our job to optimize it because we brought the plants in to a man made environment.

You know how so many people's plants have Cal Deficiency, could it be possible that there plants just have a hard time getting it without a symbiotic relationship? What if plants are supposed to have symbiotic relationships like this? Reminds me of the Human stomach ;) Ever hear of Probiotics?

All plants need nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium for growth and development. Commercial synthetic fertilizers attempt to provide these nutrients to plants in different proportions. The system for delivering these nutrients, salts and petroleum based fertilizers, are detrimental to the life in the soil ecosystem, the Soil Food Web, that benefits all plants with their nutritional needs. By nurturing the life in the Soil Food Web and providing nutrients in a natural form that enhance populations of microorganisms in the soil, all plants can gain the nutrients they need for growth much more efficiently. This is how the system has evolved. This system relies on the symbiotic relationship between plants and the soil organisms, the soil builders.

Approximately ninety-five percent of most plants are composed of carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen. Nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium are not the only nutrients required for plant growth. Other nutrients are necessary for plant growth as well. These micronutrients are needed in lesser amounts but are as equally important as the macronutrients, NPK. Utilization of the macronutrients by a plant is inhibited by the absents of the micronutrient, leading to false diagnosis of a plant deficiency.
Nitrogen is extremely unstable when it’s in the form needed for plant uptake, and since any nitrogen in this form not utilized by the plant quickly evaporates or is washed away, a slow time release supply is constantly needed. In healthy soil nitrogen-fixing bacteria pull nitrogen from the air, metabolize it and make it readily available to the roots. In a healthy soil environment with sufficient organic material that supports a thriving, diverse microbial community, Earthworm colonies and other important soil organisms that create a healthy Soil Food Web very little if any nitrogen needs to be added as a soil amendment.
Phosphorus and potassium are also needed in much smaller quantities, if at all and are provided by the organic content of a soil. In a closed system, such as a lawn where the clippings are returned to the soil, this organic matter is constantly being converted by soil organisms to nutrients and made available to the root system. You are building a soil when you leave the grass clippings.

Unfortunately poor plant development is often times attributed to a lack of one of the three macronutrients , even when in reality there is so much available to the plant. Either it is locked up in an insoluble form, or the plant lacks the ability to make use of the nutrient. For example, very little phosphorus is needed for flowering, and it is certain critical hormones, such as cytokines and auxins, that allow the plant to utilize the phosphorus.

Many other biological components of a healthy soil environment provide critical support for plants and their root systems. Ectomycorrhiza scrub roots of the food source that would otherwise be available for other unwanted fungi and nematodes. Beneficial organisms in healthy soil out compete harmful organisms for available food reducing or eliminating their damaging impact on plants. Endomycorrhiza hook inside root membranes and create long chains or networks, pulling in nutrients and moisture from great distances , virtually enlarging plant root systems. These in turn are supported by other microbiological life, each type of soil organism has a useful role and plays an integral part of the Soil Food Web.

As a cornerstone species Earthworms aid in the distribution and colonization of beneficial microorganisms throughout the soil. All plants on the planet have evolved and depend on the organisms that build sustainable, healthy life supporting soils. Without these tiny beings that make up the Soil Food Web we would not exist.
http://www.bugabay.c...Way_To_NPK.html

So just to answer your question
"Those of you who use compost tea, do you use fertilizers as well?"
Yes but not N-P-K, more like... MicrobeGrow haha I kid I kid

I hope this cleared things up a little.

By the way, its not just good for the soil, symbiotic relationships can occur on the leaves as well.

lol
I love watching this video.... I know its old and poor quality but the dude has mastered his compost tea.

5 parts water to 1 part tea....hmmm....havent been diluting it to that degree and I haven't been overhead watering....Wish I could put it into a pump sprayer without clogging it up.

look what I found! Not sure what I think about them yet but It is worth looking in to them for sure!
http://www.bountea.com/index.php?id=1&Page=Bountea_Organic_Compost_Tea

Its all about having a good soil FIRST. Peat and perlite with bottled fertilizers does not equal SOIL. That only equals a growing MEDIUM. The teas are how you electrify an already well comprised soil structure. Amendments, amendments, amendments...dude.

look what I found! Not sure what I think about them yet but It is worth looking in to them for sure!
http://www.bountea.c...nic_Compost_Tea

Good God, if you buy a substantial amount for your plants your looking at $200+ :snooty: ....if he only sold the diffuser separate...

I bought a large aluminum strainer, but I haven't seen just how much it filters yet....hadn't thought about the screen door mesh...i'll give it a go.

On my previous post, do you guys dilute it at that strength? Or do you dilute it at all?

I have been giving it to the soil at full brew strength and haven't seen really any adverse effects....

Its all about having a good soil FIRST. Peat and perlite with bottled fertilizers does not equal SOIL. That only equals a growing MEDIUM. The teas are how you electrify an already well comprised soil structure. Amendments, amendments, amendments...dude.

What Amendments do you recommend?
Manure, guano, rock dust?
I have a boat load of Worm Castings, is this enough or do I need more? The more the better right?

For aact you only need a little bit. The bubbling and mollasses is what multiplies the colonies. With amending soil, its best to use a wide range of things in smaller amounts. I make my soil mix so hot that I have to cook it for a month before planting in it. See why I only feed 2 times a season? The fish hydrolyzate I make is for recharching the soil.

For aact you only need a little bit. The bubbling and mollasses is what multiplies the colonies. With amending soil, its best to use a wide range of things in smaller amounts. I make my soil mix so hot that I have to cook it for a month before planting in it. See why I only feed 2 times a season? The fish hydrolyzate I make is for recharching the soil.

Ahhh ok...
Now you gave me something to think about. I throw every thing I can in my little worm bin that they will take. I may mix up some strong soil that is like 30% castings and and let it sit in a pale for a while. Also I got some fresh Kelp that I can throw in my blender and add it.

Back