• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Computer and Internet Security

armac said:

SO you set up a po box for real bills and a po box for 3rd party stuff that you expect to be thrown away? Seems like you are spending more money on po boxes than is necessary.

If you are that scared of your creditors getting your physical address, perhaps you should avoid credit

I appreciate your concern...

Faceplant is not, nor ever will be on my computer, and startpage is my search engine and always will be---especially if my wife would be looking for pressure cookers for our harvest while I was looking for hiking backpacks.

You can get arrested for that in amerika.

Paranoid?
Nope.
Aware? Yup.

Think it's BS?

Try a gobble search of some really "newsworthy" stuff yourself.

And lets not go for that old "if you aren't guilty, why worry" garbage.

This is amerika, if yer not guilty of something today, you will be tomorrow.

The point is, WE aren't paranoid---those who seem to think a need to track, trace, database and record everything we do ARE paranoid.

Unfortunately there are those that think it's all puppy dogs and unicorns, no one would ever spy on Americans.

If someone knocked on your door, would you give them all your personal information...I think not, so why on earth would you willingly give it to them online...?

Paranoid, no.

Scared, no.

Aware and understanding of how the internet works and how to prevent leaking of information, yes.

If that is not your thing, fine, but criticizing those that do it...makes no sense.

Troll on...

Hope not everyone thinks about it.

I would like a MH for my grow, and it will take about 10 more computer jobs to do it.

(I'm cheap) :shh:

Computers are also my hobby, and most work I do for free or for parts, but some people don't think they are getting good service if they don't have to pay for it.

Go figure.

You'll just have to learn a new skill to make money. ;)

The more people know how to protect themselves the better!

Wishing people stay ignorant, just so you can keep earning money on repair jobs is super self centered. Kinda like a Doctor saying "I hope everyone gets cancer so I can buy a new Porsche".

Humor.

Usually, after I fix one they stay fixed as long as the customer takes my instructions to heart.
I try to fix the assometer as well as the computer. (Assometer----the connecting machinery between the floor and keyboard).

Usually I get a yearly cleanup call from my regulars, and catastrophic failures to repair, sometimes hardware upgrades or internet usage leakage troubleshooting (usage limited, as most are on cell or satellite data plans).
1/2 of my customers are seniors, and I rarely charge them, and when they won't accept "no charge" for an answer, they have usually recieved some extra memory or replacement parts far in excees of the couple bucks I let them pay.

funny thing is i worked in law enforcement for years, you can duck into your po box, you can use fake area codes, you can do whatever little cutesy pie things you can think of.....if somebody has the resources to look for you, you can be found......ever seen a lexis nexus report?

troll on.....

jajaja... this topic is amusing. I have LOT's of lawyer friends who are hungry... use my stuff... pay for the rest of my life, please. 

Some of you are entirely too paranoid.  Open the curtains and let some sun in.  Hell, go outside for a bit.  It's good for you. 

Anyone who uses Yahoo Mail should change to a new service.

I had been getting frustrated with delays recently, so I did a test this morning, sent 7 e-mails out to different addresses on different sites and waited to see how long they took to arrive. That was 10am this morning. NONE have arrived yet. Double checked all the addresses, no problems on this end. The yahho servers must either be clogged up bad, or they are up to no good.

So yeah, Yahoo Mail is done.

thismembername said:
The problem is that the grocery store knows everything that you buy, they sell these shopping habits to third parties, who then market to you. Some retailers track users by their cell phone when they enter the premises, so they also know "how" you shop, where you walked, etc. It may not sound like much, but when they build these data bases on your life, where you shop, when you shop, when your not at home, what you buy, who you call, where you drive, what you drive, how much you weight, if your sick ..... is this sold to insurance companies for rates, banks, foreign governments, leaked by accident. You see the problem.

Any source for that claim or is that just wild speculation?  I don't mean to sound skeptical that just sounds a little far fetched 

Back