• We welcome content that is not political, divisive, or offensive. If we feel your content leans this way or has the potential to, it may be removed at any time. A hot pepper forum is not the place for such content. Thank you for respecting the community!

Computer Woes

Still on a PC here, with windows (c'mon Chrome hurry up) but use firefox, thunderbird, openoffice & avast AV.

M$ is gonna get shafted, I think you'll find platforms working on all configurations of hardware very soon (next 12 months) all free and cross/backward compatible with software. Will need broadband to get the benefits of course.

While I'm on a rant, when's this internet phone going to become a viable reality? Land line rental blows!

:cheers:
~bent

disclaimer: drunk & didn't really read the rest of the thread

bentalphanerd said:
While I'm on a rant, when's this internet phone going to become a viable reality?

Tried Skype? I haven't but I've heard good things. It even came preloaded on the Asus. You can do video calls or regular, computer-computer or computer-phone.

caroltlw said:
Tried Skype? I haven't but I've heard good things. It even came preloaded on the Asus. You can do video calls or regular, computer-computer or computer-phone.

I have, but confess not for some time. It had flaws like I had to be sitting at my computer to accept a call (unless I purchased an overpriced handset) & I couldn't call someone who only had a landline last time I looked.

Yahoo chat has similar capabilities & video option too - I'm waiting for the fully fledged phone beast where I can call a land-line or mobile that doesn't need specific software on their end to get through.

Surely i can portion off a slice of my cable to use a dedicated 8 kb/s phone connection?

There are lots of VOIP options. Mostly cheaper then landline.

Soon we will have virtual desktops, hosted in the "cloud" accessed by tiny, lower power terminals :)

Or not.

Back