Concerning sudden leaf problems.. suspect over fert

queequeg152 said:
i see.

i just checked, and 2.23 grams of calcium nitrate  added to 1 gallon of water will yield:I

100mg/l calcium
130mg/l nitrate
Thanks those figures :-)

Is that quite a high amount of nitrogen? I'm just used to seeing the percentage of a mix, rather then what is a available.

Sorry, miss understanding :-) I used the term "soil" in a rather generic term for compost.

You confused me by saying "soil less" and linking a page about hydroponics.

(From memory)...
My 'soil' is around 40% peat with compost and stuff to make it more loamy.. Grit/ sand I think. I would need to take a look at the compost bag for more precise details.

scotchnaga85 said:
Sorry, miss understanding :-) I used the term "soil" in a rather generic term for compost.

You confused me by saying "soil less" and linking a page about hydroponics.

(From memory)...
My 'soil' is around 40% peat with compost and stuff to make it more loamy.. Grit/ sand I think. I would need to take a look at the compost bag for more precise details.
 soilless just means its free of other sources of nutrition such as manure, or other decomposing organic stuff.

coir and promix are examples of soil less mediums. they are considered to be hydroponic mediums.

if you feel that your compost is super high in nitrogen etc ( poultry manure or some such thing) , you may scale back on the calcium nitrate at first, and observe.

alternativly you could try calcium sulfate, however, i think you may possibly find this hard if not impossible to dissolve in any quantity with your tap water.
hell its very hard to dissolve into distilled water.

scotchnaga85 said:
It's primarily for the yellow 7.

This plant had issues before the suspected fert overdose. The leaves/ upper stems on new growth are continuesly wilted, there has been very little growth from this plant recently and some of the wilted stuff has died off.
This plant also happens to be in a pot with the highest PH reading.. Neigh on a ph 8.

I will try a little calcium and see how it responds.

Why on earth would you add calcium when your PH is already high?

calcium nitrate will not appreciably alter the PH of solutions let alone his soil.

you are thinking of lime, which is either,  calcium and magnesium carbonates, or as is the case with cement or 'quicklime'  etc, calcium oxide , or with soda lime aka hydrated lime, calcium hydroxide.

I don't make my own compost, over here there are plenty of shops you can pick up from, and its relatively cheap if your using it on a small scale like myself.

The compost I use is a mixture of peat and organic material (whatever that might be), with some added grit. No chicken manure as far as I'm aware.

Regarding "super" high nitrogen levels, I doubt it. I had 3 plants with pale yellow leafs, responded well to a high nitrogen fertalizer.

About the high PH of some of my pots, well it would appear the layer of sphagnum moss is doing it's thing. The pot that had the PH of 8 on Sunday morning now has a PH of just under 7 - Tuesday evening. Similar readings are happening with the blueberries.

And on a happy note.. I finally have barrackapore pods starting to grow :-)

Back