• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

cone9 - The Epilogue (2014 Glog)

Well, lets give this a go - it certainly won't be up to par with some of these great Glogs but...

I just planted this morning.  Last year I started my plants in March.  This year I'm more on the ball (I hope!).
I decided to try Oasis Rootcubes.  I bought a 104 cell sheet of the 1 1/4" cubes.  They are housed in a Jiffy seed starting greenhouse atop a Milliard heat mat.  Temperature is at 78 degrees F.

Once I get some growth, light will be a hodgepodge  of T5 and cheap ebay LED bulbs.

I had pared my list down to 15 - it grew to 18 - I planted 19 with a few more seeds evincing such arguments for inclusion I'll probably be wetting them soon as well.  It is so hard to say no to pepper seeds!

Planted so far:

1/1     7 Pot Bubblegum 
2/2     7 Pot White
1/1     Aji Dulce Yellow
6/6     Aji Lemon Drop
2/2     Aji Omnicolor x unknown baccatum (SanPatricio)
2/2     Ancient Sweet
4/4     Brazilian Starfish
2/2     Charapita
1/1     Cherry Bomb
2/2     Creme Fatalii
2/2     Fatalii x Red Savina (justaguy)
2/2     Jamaican Gold
1/1     Mako Kokoo 
3/3     Manzano 
2/2     Queen Laurie - one didn't make it after a helmet head but the remaining plant is doing great.
1/1     Rain Forest - this one is growing very slowly, not a healthy looking plant.
2/2     Seasoning Pepper
2/2     Tepin x Lemon Drop (smileyguy697)
2/2     Urfa Biber
/\ cells germinated/cells planted

2-9-2014:
1/2     C. galapagoense
1/2     C. chacoense

2-16-2014
1/2 TS Yellow CARDI

Wow Dave, those plants are loading up very nicely!

Nice pics too! And I think you're right about the plants shading the fabric.

Enjoy the weekend!

Tepin x Lemon Drop

... and one of it's pods

One Manzano in the sun...

...and two in the shade.

Both are sporting blossoms, but I've not located and pods yet.

Queen Laurie blossom.  The plant also has a couple small pods set.

I got to pick a couple ripe pods today.  By now they are now residing somewhere in my large colon.
Tomato pepper on the left and Cherry Bomb on the right.

And while looking over the 7 Pot Bubblegum at the tiny pods just starting to form...

...I saw this...

...that I had not seen before.  This one is a it under an inch.  It's sometimes a burden for the old guy to get down low enough to see well up under all these plants.
Pods are good at hiding beneath foliage sometimes.

This morning's images.

Jamaican Gold

Cream Fatalii - color is right, shape is not - time will tell on the taste

Seasoning Pepper (from Micca)

Tepin x Lemon Drop

Brazilian Starfish - no color yet but sure are a lot of pods

I'm pretty happy with how lush and healthy everything has been so far this year.

Had a pull (now don't laugh) last night:

...but someone ate one.

Garden looks great Dave!

No harvest is laughable, I'm sure soon enough you'll have bunches.

Is that a stream along side the garden?

I'd just love running water on my place.

Oh, but to be three inches tall for an afternoon...

...or until a cat show up!

Nice work Dave!

How was MB? I know the first couple of days the weather was really nice. Day one I got fried at the beach, still peeling....

Keep it green!

cone9 said:
Oh, but to be three inches tall for an afternoon...

Thus the literate title, "A Walk in a Lilliputian Pepper Forest".  The perspective-shift and sense of wonderment are just right, I think.

Plus 40 points.

Devv said:
Nice work Dave!

How was MB? I know the first couple of days the weather was really nice. Day one I got fried at the beach, still peeling....

Keep it green!
Thanks, Scott.

With temps at the low the mid 80s, comfortable humidity and that pleasant ocean breeze we could not have asked for better weather for Myrtle in mid-July!  I too burned a bit but spent most of my time relaxed  'neath the umbrellas.  We had some good waves for body surfing and I think I broke yet another toe on the last day - on the bright side I have eight good ones left!  I had more than my share of good seafood with so many fine restaurants  in the area.  We got a desperately needed week of quality relaxation.

We had a large family parked beside us on the beach the last few days.  At precisely ten each morning they would open the cooler to begin the day long succession of beers.  My wife pointed out that the family patriarch, can in hand, would take a stroll in to waist deep waste every 45 minutes - don't know what that could have been about, I suppose he just needed to relieve himself from the heat occasionally!

swellcat said:

Thus the literate title, "A Walk in a Lilliputian Pepper Forest".  The perspective-shift and sense of wonderment are just right, I think.

Plus 40 points.

Sometimes my sense of self-entertainment takes the road "less traveled by" and I am compelled to share it with everyone else.  Oftentimes my quips seem to go unnoticed.  I'm glad you enjoyed this.  Thanks for the comments.

I picked these four TS Yellow CARDI today.  They joined a bunch of Aji Lemon Drop in a batch of lemon jelly.

Nice grow, Dave!  That series of pod shots is awesome!

Your yard looks like a great place to hang out    :cool:

Beautiful Yellow Cardi's!

Glad the MB vay-kay was a good time, I wish we had more time there so we could have met. But with visiting all the parents in one month it was a vay-kay blitz, we felt like we were always running. The wife and I did get some time while in Vegas, visited Mom on Friday and Sat., we had Sunday and Monday all to ourselves.

I feel ya on the "getting low", never had that issue until this season. I guess the man upstairs has us on a timer. "You only get to bend down using your back, or squatting so many times. Hit the limit and you're done".

PaulG said:
Nice grow, Dave!  That series of pod shots is awesome!

Your yard looks like a great place to hang out    :cool:

Thanks, Paul.  I enjoyed taking that series of pics - there would be a lot more color in them now!
We really enjoy our location.  Nice family neighborhood, wooded hillside across the stream and, if you are so inclined, fine kayaking (as the pics below will testify).
Devv said:
Beautiful Yellow Cardi's!

Glad the MB vay-kay was a good time, I wish we had more time there so we could have met. But with visiting all the parents in one month it was a vay-kay blitz, we felt like we were always running. The wife and I did get some time while in Vegas, visited Mom on Friday and Sat., we had Sunday and Monday all to ourselves.

I feel ya on the "getting low", never had that issue until this season. I guess the man upstairs has us on a timer. "You only get to bend down using your back, or squatting so many times. Hit the limit and you're done".
I love the CARDI pods.  meinchoh sent me the seed and the plant is loaded.
That "wearing out" stuff really creeps up on you.  You never think it's going to arrive but then there is no going back once it does!

We got a little rain last night:

And it beat my plants down a bit:

It looks like we got a little over 3" of rain last night.  Thunderstorms all night.  Had I known how much was coming I'd have carried the potted plants in to the garage.  

The stream is usually about 6" deep this time of year.  It drains the valley north of us and, barring more rain, will be back to normal in a couple days.

Back