• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Cookies!

I would like to make at least one batch of cookies this week that have noticeable heat, but I don't want a lot of pepper flavor.  Any ideas on the quantity of pepper amd/or powder to use in a batch?  Let's just assume something like the standard Tollhouse chocolate chip cookie recipe for starters.  Ginger snaps would be preferred but we already made some and they take more time than I probably have with intended travel.

If you have any habanero's, you could try this one. I found it on the internet and planned on making some with the Habs that I was growing, but they all ended up being eaten, so never got the chance.....

Habanero Cookies.....

10 habanero's, seeded and minced.
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1 cup softened butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 eggs
2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt

1...preheat oven to 325 degrees (165 Celsius)
2...In large bowl, mix the peppers, sugar, vanilla, butter and eggs. Beat until smooth. In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking soda and salt. Stir into pepper mixture just until combined. Drop by rounded teaspoonful's onto ungreased cookie sheet.
3...bake 10 minutes in preheated oven, or until golden brown. Cool on wire rack.

I'm sure this recipe could apply to pretty much any pepper. It also said that if you want to tone down the heat of the pepper, to soak them in a bowl of milk, microwave until the milk is warm, and then let cool and rinse.

Pepperjack91 said:
What kind of peppers do you have??

A lot of different kinds.  Various ghost peppers, various scotch bonnets, habaneros, various 7-pots, various congos, etc.  Nothing really on the mild side of things.

Penny said:
If you have any habanero's, you could try this one. I found it on the internet and planned on making some with the Habs that I was growing, but they all ended up being eaten, so never got the chance.....

Habanero Cookies.....

10 habanero's, seeded and minced.
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1 cup softened butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 eggs
2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt

1...preheat oven to 325 degrees (165 Celsius)
2...In large bowl, mix the peppers, sugar, vanilla, butter and eggs. Beat until smooth. In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking soda and salt. Stir into pepper mixture just until combined. Drop by rounded teaspoonful's onto ungreased cookie sheet.
3...bake 10 minutes in preheated oven, or until golden brown. Cool on wire rack.

I'm sure this recipe could apply to pretty much any pepper. It also said that if you want to tone down the heat of the pepper, to soak them in a bowl of milk, microwave until the milk is warm, and then let cool and rinse.

This looks perfect!  Thank you :)
jedisushi06 said:
 Might have to try that one too, just not white chocolate.  I could rant for a bit about white chocolate and why it shouldn't be called that.

Yeah i'm not sure what white chocolate is, try chopping the peppers up real fine if your are using less of them, i posted the recipe as a base for anything you want, just make sure the sugar, flour, etc are the same, then u can sub different chocolate chips and peppers.  Post a pic when your done making them.  good luck, hope they turn out good

Toffee and chocolate chips and 7 pot powder, might have to make some soon.

I take the Asskickin peanuts recipe and modify - I just add powder dujour into the mix
Ass Kickin's Cookies
Ingredients:
1 1/2  cups packed brown sugar
1/2 cup margarine or butter, softened
1/2 cup shortening
12 oz can Ass Kickin Peanuts
2 eggs
2 tsps vanilla
3 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda

Heat oven to 190.  Mix sugar, margaring, shortening, eggs and vanilla. 
Stir in remaining ingredients.  Drop dough by rounded teaspoons full about 2 inches
apart onto lightly greased cookie sheet. 
Flatten with greased bottom of a glass dipped in sugar.
Bake for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. 
Immediately remove from cookie sheet.  Makes about 6 dozen cookies. 

So I finally made these Christmas day.  They turned out really well, but they just needed a little bit something more.  I am thinking of just adding some chocolate chips the next time.   Editing to add that I forgot to grab the vanilla out of the fridge for the first pic.

IMG_20131225_145526_034_zpsmvwcqhat.jpg

IMG_20131225_154426_361_zpsv1c7qplu.jpg

IMG_20131225_175526_226_zpsezo8dyho.jpg

I got the desired effect from them.  Heat without the taste of the peppers.  Actually a little more heat than I thought I would get. 

Looks and sounds really good! Anything with sugar can be deceptive at first - the sugar cuts the heat back a tad, but eat one more, then just one more, then the next you know your mouth is on fire. Here's a link to a recipe I like to make around the holidays. You can switch out the nuts if you don't like cashews, and switch out the peppers if you don't have douglahs. I'd recommend something in the red version - congo trinidad would be good, for example. These are very popular with my pepper friends, and admittedly, I have a hard time pacing myself when I make them.

We frequently put pepper powder in with brownie mix, too..... heat and sweet is a great combo!

Back