• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Cooking with sourdough

I thought I would start this to help people get turned onto sourdough.  I am not the authority but it made a huge difference in the the way I make bread, pizza, pancakes, biscuits, crackers and other things made with flour. 

Those that are more experienced in SD feel free to jump in and post your thought's or recipes.

If you are interested in getting a culture going you can get a starter from Friends of Carl for free with a SASE which is an established yeast from the 1800's.  You can also make your own culture by searching.

http://carlsfriends.net/source.html

I won't go into feeding and discarding...it's and easy google search.

SD Crackers....add what you want for taste.  Herbs, salt, cheese, meat etc...

1 cup SD (unfed)
1/3 cup melted butter
1 cup flour plus workable flour
1/2 tsp baking powder...after resting

Mix butter, SD and 1 cup flour into dough ball.  Let sit for 8 hrs to 4 days...yeah it's unfed
When your ready add 1/2 tsp baking powder...or do half dough and 1/4 tsp baking powder.
Add enough flour to make it workable.
Roll it out as thin as you can. I use parchment paper.
Add your ingredients such as salt, herbs, cheese, ham and such.
Cut it up with a pizza cutter before you bake.
Put it in the oven at 350 for 10 to 20 minutes until it gets crispy like you want it.  It will depend on how thin you roll it out.

The women gobble it up....up next pancakes

Jim....I will be adding to this when I utilize my starter. I can vouch for his pancake and biscuit recipe....everyone loves it when I make them. Glad you started this thread.

Just a thought when I looked at your recipe....it might be more helpful if you note whether the started is fed and active or un fed from fridge.

I meant to say unfed.   It is for the discarded SD when you pull it out of the fridge to feed.  It is better in the fridge for a few days like pizza dough.  The butter and baking powder at the end gives that cracker buttery taste.  I try to make them thin and store....they go to quick.

I have been eating the pancakes with bananas, peanut butter and honey all week.  They are meaty and don't soak up the syrup.  

Hopefully others will pitch in on their methods for bread and using SD.  Change the tittle if they want...the pizza turned bread makes me want to expand.

Best Pancakes EVER!!! 

These will not soak up the syrup, stay fresh for days in the fridge and freeze well. 

Night before: 
Mix 1 cup unfed SD, 1.5 cups warm water, 2.5 cups flour (1/2 cup wheat is good) cover with seran wrap/foil and let stand overnight.

The next morning:
Mix 1 egg, 2/3 cup milk, 1 teaspoon baking soda, 1 teaspoon salt, 2 tablespoons brown sugar (or honey) and 2 tablespoons vegetable oil. Whisk into the mixture from the night before, let stand for five minute and drop onto griddle.

I'll have to expand my horizons. I have a 2 year old SD starter in my frig. I make bread and pizza dough with it. I also make a whole wheat sourdough thats pretty good called polaine of Paris.

SavinaRed said:
I'll have to expand my horizons. I have a 2 year old SD starter in my frig. I make bread and pizza dough with it. I also make a whole wheat sourdough thats pretty good called polaine of Paris.

I have experimented with whole wheat.  It didn't seem to work well mixed in the AP starter.  Mixing it in the sponge and dough has worked well.  It is great fresh but kinda dense after a couple days.

grantmichaels said:
I have the troubled, foster Herm SD starter ... he's always under hootch ...

My last one sat under hooch too long.  Then is got a white kam yeast on top and the smell was off so I dumped it. 

I'm still looking to improve crumb, air gaps and chewiness.  The winter seems to work better for rising.  I am anxious to get the culture from Friends of Carls going to see if the strain makes much difference. 

IMG_6189.jpg

IMG_6190.JPG

Some fresh bread using my sourdough starter.  I have 2 active starters, this one I captured myself in the beautiful New Jersey air.

The recipe is one that Pic1 posted awhile ago

100 grams fully active sourdough starter
600 grams KABF (King Arthur Bread Flour)
400 grams water
15 grams salt
7 grams instant yeast

I use lukewarm water and sprinkle the yeast on top and set aside for 15 minutes, cover it lightly.  In a bowl measure out the flour and set aside.  After the yeast has sat for 15 minutes gently stir and then add you starter and continue to stir until it is all incorporated.  I then add to the flour and mix for 1-2 minutes with my Kitchenaid mixer speed 1.  It should form a nice ball.  I then let it rest for 20 minutes.  After the rest the salt gets added and then it gets kneaded in the Kitchenaid for 6 minutes speed 4.  The dough is then put into a lightly oiled container to rise.  Once it has doubled, turn it out onto a floured surface and gently pat it down.  I then separate the dough into 4 sections and let it rest for 10 minutes.   After the 10 minutes the dough is shaped into 4 loaves and then it rises again for 45 minutes.  I preheat the oven to 470f at the beginning of the second rise.  The loaves are then slashed about 1/4 inch deep and put into the oven for 25 minutes.  The oven is then turned off and cracked open to let the loaves finish cooking.  Three of these will be frozen for later use and one will be used with dinner tonight.  I will add a picture of the inside later on.  

This bread doesn't have a strong sourdough flavor, to achieve that you will need to cold ferment in fridge overnight.  

Speaking of cold ferment....I just pulled this out of the fridge after 24 hours after an 8 hr warm rise.  It's about triple in size.  I plan on 3 days of sponge fermenting and then another day of dough fermenting.  I have made this for a few years with just a 24 hr ferment and decided to add a few days since it always improves my pizza crust. 

The sponge is 

1 C freshly fed starter
2 C AP flour
1 C water

I need to get to Goodwill for another crock to hydrate and feed the Carls 1847 SD culture that arrived in the mail a few days ago. 

Anxiously awaiting the cut 1010...looks great.

dragonsfire said:
Great looking bread, have to get back into it, I love chewy bread lol :)

Show us the buckwheat!

Awesome loaves 1010.  Did you bake on a baguette tray....I need to get me one of those.

Here is a Focaccia Pizza. 

Sponge  (6-8 hrs warm rise and 3 days fridge ferment)
1 C SD (recently fed)
1 C warm water
2 C AP flour

Dough
1 C AP flour
1.5 T honey
1 t salt
2 T olive oil
1 T milk

Optional: incorporate 1 t fresh chopped basil, parsely, thyme or rosemary. 

Mix sponge and dough ingredients in a bowl.  Turn it out to a lightly floured surface and fold.  You want it wet as possible to barely be able to keep from sticking too much.  You can also work it with olive oil.  Spread it out on a stone and drizzle with olive oil.  Use back of a spoon to spread it around.  Place a piece of seran wrap over it and let rise until doubled. 

At this point you can add small amounts of toppings and bake for 20+/- minutes at 350-400f. 

I prebaked at 350 for 10 minutes and then topped with pizza sauce, sauted onions, ham and dried basil in olive oil.  Top with cheese and bake for additional 15 min+/- at 425. 

It still needs some tweaking IMO.....It is quite sour with the longer ferment, but I like it sour.  You could always speed it up with a 1/2 t yeast and less fermenting.  I will probably bump the olive oil next time and maybe a little more hydrated.

I do not use a baguette pan. Just parchment paper on a pizza peel, then onto a stone. I found that using the couche makes all the difference when they rise after shaping.

This new culture from Friends of Carl rocks....I'm seriously considering throwing out my old culture.  The smell is more bicuity and less sour.  The taste is less sour but can be better manipulated.  The proof is in the rise.  The pizza so far has really improved....and I thought it couldn't get much better.  The bread is left to more experimentation.

When you scoop out a cup of this stuff it is like a totally different animal in gelatinous material....I regress

Back