• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

COOL NIGHTS.... GOOD OR BAD??

Many of my plants got a boat load of flowers come now too. The first flowers took no time at all to germinate. The bees absolutely love my yard. Glad I could be of service apparently... Wonder if that beer bottle I haven't got around to tossing out has anything to do with it.

The plants have certainly been enjoying these coolor nights. Some even added new branches with flowers very quickly. I'm not too worried about if the pods will ripen since I imagine, like last fall, they raced to red/orange/yadda yadda extremely quick.

My biggest concern is making a better salsa than I did last year. And having enough room to overwinter the way I want to. I'll have to reorganize the room.

Yeah I have 50 or so plants but i will only overwinter the best plant from my habs and carbbean reds since they take so long.... and of course my 7 pod Douglah that was just started in July and is now only about 8 inches high.

So maybe 3 or 4 plants.... 5 at the most...

My goals for this years pods are to:

*Make some good salsa

*Pickle some pods....yummy on burgers and the like

*Dry a bunch and grind for seasonings and spices (some people put crushed red pepper on their pizza.... I put crushed habanero.. :hell:

I don't really do starches - pizzas, noodles, rice, cereals, breads. Not that I never eat them, I just don't frequently. But chile pepper of one kind or another goes into most everything - I use chile peppers the way some people use black pepper, and then some.

I've just had two more jalapeno pods ripen, in spite of the cold. Having grown up in Houston, I am still astounded that it is freakin' August and we are already down to almost 50F at night - why do people live here??? Why do plants live here??? Why do I live here???

Any of my plants that got hit by any sort of good frost did not make it last season so I'll try to cut back plants early this year and bring them in before any severe weather hits.

Back