• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Cool summer grow problems?

I am finally getting some color on my Naga Morich pods, the first of the year.  The daytime highs were only in the 60's last week, this week is low 70's with nighttime lows in the 50's.  I'm hoping that the rest of my pods won't be stunted and turn red when they are still tiny. My plants exploded when the weather was warmer, but now I think the warm days are over. Just wondering what would be some signs of my plants being too cool? 

Slow growth pre mature pod ripening slower pod ripening cool weather slows a plant down and if its cool enough makes the plant think winter is close and the plant goes into survival mode to make sure seeds are dropped for next year.

Damn, still the same. Low 70's in the day and low 50's at night. My plants are pretty much stalled. The full size peppers are barely ripening, the small peppers aren't getting any bigger and some are ripening at 1/3 size.

Beerswimmer said:
Damn, still the same. Low 70's in the day and low 50's at night. My plants are pretty much stalled. The full size peppers are barely ripening, the small peppers aren't getting any bigger and some are ripening at 1/3 size.
We are having similar temps here in the San Francisco Bay area. I won't have any chilies on my super hots this season.

im getting higher 70's and night time around 60, my pods seem to be small but 1 plant is exploding with pods getting big, no ripening yet and ive had a fullsize pepper on 1 plant for like 3-4 weeks now lol

My plants LOVE lows into the 50's  They seem to grow several inches overnight when its cooler compared to blazing hot days.  

You can try putting down some black plastic/tarp on the groud around them to help gather the heat during the day and keep it in during the night to help prolong the season just a little longer. Just a thought tho.

I wonder how it would work out if you took some 4 x 8' plywood and put some of those metalized mylar emergency blankets on them to make huge faux mirrors to reflect more solar energy towards them.  Might get some really interesting plant shapes anyway.

We've had the same deal hear, just 10 degrees warmer, low 80's to high 60's   We've had one heat wave this year and a lot of rain.  Since the temps have dipped everything is suddenly ripening.  Luckily I have a lot of big pods, but hopefully the little ones will get bigger before ripening.

Good luck to you beerswimmer. I was up not too far from Mackinac last week, and it was downright cool for early Aug. Even the corn seems stunted this year up there.

I don't know your set up but I stuck several 10'x 1" pvc into the ground and formed hoops over my pepper bed. SInce then, I've had clear plastic over the hoops for xtra heat early season, then I rolled that up and used white agricultural cloth for some protection. Now nothing but hoops during mid summer.

I'm about to put some more over another bed that the potted plants are calling home for now.

This time I'm going to sink 2' rebars sections into the soil (cause its hard packed now) then slip the pvc tubes over the rebar. Basically to throw some plastic over to control rainfall. (getting dumped on again real soon, 1-3" according to the forecast). And the hoops will be in place for the cooler weather in the coming months.

I'm in zone 5A, -15 to -20.  The warm(not hot) sunny days are great, but the cold night temps are the problem.  I just gave them a good feeding, hopefully it'll give them a bit of energy.

Beerswimmer,

This is my 1st season growing the super hot chili's (zone 6) Besides me being obsessive, that's why I set up the hoop house.
How do you typically make out up your way with a short grow season?
I'm now just getting buds on my chinense varieties. (Other than orange habs. they've podded up nicely) I hope I have some ripe in October cause that's it around here. 

Thanks

I only grew savinas and limons the past few years here, this is my first try with super hots. So far it's OK. If I had a hoop house it would be really easy. I should still get a few hundred nagas and fatalli by October!!!

Back