• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Cooling down

Hi all.

Its cooling down here at night and the little chilli plants have slowed down. They are hot climate Trinidad and naga plants so they need some warmth. A hot lemon, fatalii, tobago seasoning, and a nice and strong Devils tongue.

I want to grow all these over winter but not make them too big.

I just want them nice and strong to plant out next spring when it warms back up.

Im thinking of setting up a spot in my garage with some fluro lighting on a timer to keep the happy and warm.

I have fluro fittings (the 4 foot long ones) but im unsure of what colour rating tubes are the best for the job.

any help apreciated.

cheers

865er's are the best, even better is a combination of one 865 and a 840, but I'd only use a 865 if you don't want them to get to big. 840 makes them grow bigger, 865 makes them more bushy.

Prior to being attacked by a cat who caused the pot to fall off a table, the one plant I had saved from last year was doing fine just sitting someplace where it got maybe four hours of diffuesed sunlight a day - and that was on the days the sun actually made an appearance.

Mike

Chiliac said:
865er's are the best, even better is a combination of one 865 and a 840, but I'd only use a 865 if you don't want them to get to big. 840 makes them grow bigger, 865 makes them more bushy.

First class info there.... thanks.

I have 2 865 fluro tubes in the garage so will move them all in soon and make a foil lined cupboard for them to live in for the winter. $40 will get me a good timer to switch the light on and off.

Might upgrade to an 840 as it warms back up to crank up the plants groath.

thanks for the help

cheers

tony05 said:
$40 will get me a good timer to switch the light on and off.

Tony, surely you can get a good timer for less than $40, unless you are talking about one that will be out in the elements...I have 4 that I bought at WalMart...don't know what Aussie equivalent is...but only paid $10 USD each...one is running 24 40 watt T12 fluorescents (960W total), one is running 6 40W fluros, and one is running eight 40 watt fluros and six 43W (150 eq) CFLs (578W total)...they have not overheated and stay about room temperature...

Mine was even cheaper then AJ's and it works fine. Don't pay too much. All it needs to do is switch the lights on in the morning and off in the nite. Any timer can handle this task.

Back