• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

CoreySteel's 2011 Chilli Corner (First timer)

Hey guys.

I have already written some stuff in my introduction at Welcome subforum, so just some cliff notes here.

14 days ago I was surfing the net, knowing nothing about chillies yet and then I stumbled upon some Slovenian website which sells seeds and sauces. Got me interested, start searching a bit more and here I am now.

Opened this topic so I can track my progress and I also hope I can get some help from you guys, if I ever need it.
I'm sure I will actually :D

April 16 was the day when I start growing.
It's late, I know that, but I still hope I can make some chillies before the winter. If I take current climate warming in account then it should be no problem lol :P
If I don't make it... Well there's always a next season, right?

What am I going to grow?
7 Sweet&Hot
5 Jalapenos
4 Red/Yellow Habaneros
----------------
Total of 16 chillies.
Nothing special, but I think its fine for a first timer.

Here are my starting pictures:

No fancy riggs. Just an ordinary "gardening soil" (not sure what's the correct English term for that), no special lighting, no special heating. Seeds were germinating on my PC Modem :P
img0166.jpg

Here's my own mini-indoor-greenhouse :D
img0163.jpg

I am actually passed that. All my seeds already germinated. Sweet&Hot and Jalapenos three days ago, Habaneros today.
Some more pictures, taken on April 23.

Habaneros still on my PC Modem ;)
20110424cilijibrezhabane.jpg

Sprout coming through
20110424ciliseprebija.jpg

Some macro shots for my new avatar :D
20110424macro.jpg

Thats it for now. Will make some updates in near future :)

Welcome!

The seedlings are looking good. Just remember to keep the light on them so they dont get leggy and start having a weak stem.

All the best!

+1 for kiddc. Those little guys will need some light now down low over them to branch out and not reach out for light. Flouresent light. Way to go and welcome, you've come to the right place. And don't over water them.
'

Thanks for the tips.
I try to give my plants as much sunlight as possible. For now I think it looks OK, I hope it stays this way.

About watering...
I use spray bottle. Twice or three times a day, one splash. Not sure if its too much or too little, but soil looks kinda dry all the time.

wow never seen sweet & hot chilli, what family does it come from?
C. Annuum
I searched whole web for info about this chilli and found nothing.
Bought them here:
http://www.kupicili.si/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=64&category_id=10&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=73&lang=en

There is also a picture so you can see how they look like.
Owner of this store says he got these seeds already named like that.

corey,

i dont think you should expose them to sunlight now, it might be too hot and might burn the little things. Can you stick to fluros?

I'm not directly exposing them to sunlight. That sentence above didn't came out right :)
And on the picture I put them on a sunlight just for that shooting session :D

I have this light at home: Philips TL PRO 13W/840.
Is this OK or not?

Philips #716859 Mini TL 13W/840 $9.95 Free Shipping
Philips TL MINI SUPER 80 13W/830 13 Watt Fluorescent T5 4100K Lamp
• Color Temp 4000K (840) Cool White • Rated Avg. Life 10,000hrs
• 82 CRI • MOL 531.1mm x DIA 16mm • G5 Miniature Bi-Pin Base • Sold 25/Case

I setup this light in post above me. Can't do much more atm, because I'm going away tomorrow and won't be home until 2nd of May :(
Hope everything will be allright with my seedlings because today some of them didn't look good.

img1599.jpg

img1598.jpg

Hey.
Quick update.

Got home from Holidays and my seedlings look much better now.
Some of them are really strong, other not so strong, one Habanero has yellow pointy leaves.

Here are some pictures.
img1602.jpg

img1610.jpg

I also started a new project, called...
"What pepper is in this peeper mill" :D
img1606.jpg

Tried to germinate 6 seeds in that wet paper/plastic bag and 4 of them sprouted lol. Even though that pepper mill is 2 or 3 years old and tasteless :D
Just for fun...

Looking good there , Corey.

I was a bit worried back then when the cotyledons were curling, but it seems they made a full recovery :)

Thanks kiddc.
That additional light helped a lot I guess.

Hi Corey,

Very impressive log. Good luck for your babies.
I was frightened to see those curling leafes, but they recovered. Just give them enough light, and they will grow like crazy. I gave them 12-15 hours direct light with an Osram Fluora 18W - 6500K bulb (at the first 1 month, then I reduced the time spent under the lamp), from 10cm distance from the seedlings. For your question I would say, the 'warmer'(higher K - Kelvin rates) bulb you get, the healthier seedlings you will have. You can find many good hints on cannabis-homepages (I hope it is not illegal to learn from them, they are real genius in gardening :-)), just check the below picture about the spectrum of the light I found on one of that kind of homepage. :-)
spectrum.png

Thanks for stopping by HH :)
My light has 4000K so I guess its not ideal for growing and not ideal for flowering either, but that's what I got for now. Maybe I'll go shopping tomorrow :D

That cannabis homepage is a good tip, lol. Well I have to say I learned a lot here on THP too, just by reading. Making notes and that helps a lot :)

I did go shopping :D

Bought two Osram Fluora 18W bulbs. Bought electronic ballast for 2x18W and electric cord + other things I need (I think), but I don't know English terms :P.
Have no knowledge in electronics so I hope I won't kill myself with electricity :D

Wish me luck :mouthonfire:

Hey.

Long time no hear.
My chillies were doing fine... Until now.

Leaves are starting to get yellowish.
One guy already lost his two "initial leaves" (not sure what the correct term is).

I didn't change anything, they just started doing this.
Some of them also started forming flowers, but I cut them away. Hope thats fine.

Here are some pictures. Help would be really great, thanks!
As I can see now, it's not so clear on photos, but under a sun or my Osram light it looks a lot more yellowish.
Am I just exaggerating/overreacting ?

img0251.jpg

img0253.jpg

img0257.jpg

img0262.jpg

what is your watering schedule you dont keep them this wet all the time do you ?
they should only need a good drink about once a week and let it dry out all the way then water again and those pots in the grass cant tell how good of drainage/oxygen holes you have
looks like you mix needs some perlite in for aeration as well

edit typo

Back