• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

preservation Correct ph without vinegar.

Shorerider

Staff Member
Extreme Member
Making a batch of sauce and haven't added any vinegar as yet but I have added some orange and lemon juice. Ph is 3.7 and have calibrated my meter to get the same results.

Can this be possible without adding any vinegar?

Cheers.....

Thanks Hogleg. I added 600ml Orange juice and 250ml Lemon juice to the 5 liters or so of sauce I have now. So my sauce is roughly 20% citrus juice.

LOL... I made a similar style about a month ago. just a little less citrus and just a touch of vinegar at the end to get ph where I wanted it.  Also added carrots, onion. garlic, apple, apricot, and a small pinch of cilantro. And fresh morugas, primos, rehydrated goatsweed and frozen manzano. It came out pretty good too.

Ha!! I added carrots, cilantro, tomatoes, capsicum, garlic, onion, ginger strawberries, pineapple and 1kg chilli. But the best "new" favorite ingredient is my homemade smoked chilli powder. Wow what an amazing taste!!!

Shorerider said:
Ha!! I added carrots, cilantro, tomatoes, capsicum, garlic, onion, ginger strawberries, pineapple and 1kg chilli. But the best "new" favorite ingredient is my homemade smoked chilli powder. Wow what an amazing taste!!!
how are you smoking your peppers ?

First I air dry the pods, then hot smoke them using Red gum (Australian native) wood chips. I don't add anything to them other than exposure to the smoke.

But what is the purpose. Anytime I have made salsa, I just make it. Choped up peppers and onion, tomatos etc.. I am just trying to understand the need to test and or change the PH.

OK i read the making sause thread. So I get it. Now what is a good PH meter for salsa making.

Depending on what kind of "salsa" you are making, and how fast you will eat it up, pH generally isn't an issue.  For most fresh refrigerated (uncooked vegetables) salsa, pH is not an issue as it is not Shelf Stable(meaning it can be without refrigeration), it is not intended for long term storage, the salsa is intended to be eaten within a few days of preparation.

If you want to make a CANNED salsa, (something you can put on the shelf in the pantry for months....) then pH and method of preservation (hot water bath or Pressure canning) become important factors.

For the Chop-It-Up-to-Serve-With-Dinner salsa/pico de gallo/black bean/mango/etc.....pH is not an issue.  

Back