• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Couple dozen photographs from 2010 season

Nice pics.
Nice and jealousy-inducing harvest!

Using a little dark-room box? Very nice lighting and sharp images.

Thanks for all the nice comments. I'll try and answer some questions...

I live in Sardinia, Italy, where I'm spoiled with fairly good capsicum weather. I use a Nikon D90 to take the pics, and this year I invested in a flash umbrella, which I used for all black background still lifes. I use black velvet material as a backdrop, which I then completely PhotoShop out. In most cases the lighting comes from the top right (umbrella), head-on (the cameras flash) and from the left (piece of paper as reflector). The Scotch Bonnets are taken with ordinary window lighting.

I bought the Cajamarca seeds from the Chili Pepper Institute, which claims:
With a beautiful fruit that begins a vibrant violet unique to C. chinense and then changes to a rich red. The wonderfully fragrant aroma of ‘Cajamarca’ captures your attention with an intense, spicy-citrus fragrance and the classic habanero fruity undertone. Very Hot.
First of all the pods begin white, then the violet slowly comes in. As per taste I have to say I was disappointed, I expected something at least 7 out of 10 for heat, but in the end they were more like 4 or 5 out of 10. I have 10 Cajamarca plants - and they're all the same. The lower 80% is crunchy and not very tasty - kind of "grassy", and almost sweet. Then the upper 20%, where all the placenta is, is kinda hot (Jalapeno hot), and does have a slight chinensey flavour. More a salad pepper then a cooking or sauce pepper imo.

I'm more of a Habanero Red Caribbean person, so I'm personally going to consider these "ornamental" in my books.

I'd be interested in hearing other Cajamarca experiences, maybe my batch was atypical.

If anyone is interested in last year's pics, you can find them here:
http://www.delta42.com/2009/

/pb

Back