• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense CPI Bhut Variation

A few years ago I grew out some Bhut Jolokia seed from the Chile Pepper Institute.

They turned out like this (2011):
P1160524.jpg

P1160531.jpg

I'm curious if other growers have also encountered some variation in growing out their CPI Bhut seed.

How did yours turn out?  Post some pics if you have any...

PepperLover said:

Hey Charles, me too, i found variation in their strains, over the years i picked, selected, re-selected this one very large plant and pods about 6 inches 

Ok, very nice.  I didn't know your pods were originally from the CPI.

meinchoh said:
Judy, did you grow those near a nuclear power plant?? Those are crazy!!
LOL Ed, it is the strain that ended up being this huge, the pods are very think though, i think the one Charles posted had thicker skin than the ones i have.

Spicegeist said:
Incredible variation just between these two.
yes Charles, i have seem pods like the one u have come from Bangladesh while the one i have from India. it could be natural mutation or cross, or simply whole different strain 

PepperLover said:
Hey Jon, i will be more than happy to send you some for sure.
they are very productive, huge plant producing huge pod 
i have noticed they move from green to orange then red, some bhuts just go from green to red. 
hg6q.jpg
Dang those are purtty!

Those are all beautiful. Does anyone have some old CPI bhut seeds? I'd love to see what sort of variation they would give me.

PepperLover said:
3kfq.jpg

Hey Charles, me too, i found variation in their strains, over the years i picked, selected, re-selected this one very large plant and pods about 6 inches 

You should select these guys for a bhut strain if you're not already.

Did your bhut jolokia reds originate from the CPI strain?

Here are some bhut jolokia reds I bought from you 2 years ago. I sure loved them and growing them again this year.

Bhut reds on the top:

7919381484_d68d044fd3.jpg

I've noticed there is huge variation in bhut jolokias. It's quite incredible.

Edit: I noticed the pic on your website for the bhut jolokia reds shows the CPI one posted in the thread, so I think it's safe to assume the ones in the pic I posted are a variation of those (I'm not certain of the peppers one the bottom). The variation would explain what I've thought might be a cross. The peppers I'm not sure what happened (cross or variation) are on the bottom of the pic above. I grew 3 of them out last season. They look different from the ones in the pic but looked just like each other. I've been baffled by it, lol.

Edit again: I probably don't need seeds since I might have the variation I'm looking for already.

Edit: Here is an offspring of the bottom pepper in the picture above:

I'm not sure if they're an accidental cross or crazy variation

12097775624_81843ef400.jpg

I really like these, so I'm glad if they are a hybrid or strange variation. They all taste like bhuts. The picture sucks unfortunately, but they got nice pimples on them and bumps.
PepperLover said:

i have noticed they move from green to orange then red, some bhuts just go from green to red. 

Some go from light green to red. It's quite odd.

Edit:

The two other offspring but the pods are green :( :

9517706639_6643a23514.jpg

9520499358_44867b4a95.jpg

Let me know if you think it's a cross or crazy variation. All of them have the bhut/naga flavor.

Dulac said:
Here are some bhut jolokia reds I bought from you 2 years ago. I sure loved them and growing them again this year.

So these are all grown from Judy/Pepperlover Red Bhut seed?  Which by extension would then be from CPI, and there is some interesting variation there.

I'm still curious about people who ordered their seed directly from CPI and then that grew it out... pics anyone?

Spicegeist said:

So these are all grown from Judy/Pepperlover Red Bhut seed?  Which by extension would then be from CPI, and there is some interesting variation there.

I'm still curious about people who ordered their seed directly from CPI and then that grew it out... pics anyone?

I think so, but I could be mistaken. I see resemblance to her CPI in all of them. I'm curious to her opinion, since she probably has grown a lot more plants. I treated it as a bhut that crossed with a naga the whole time, but I'm starting think it might just be crazy variation.

Dulac said:

I think so, but I could be mistaken. I see resemblance to her CPI in all of them. I'm curious to her opinion, since she probably has grown a lot more plants. I treated it as a bhut that crossed with a naga the whole time, but I'm starting think it might just be crazy variation.
Safe to say if they are a cross, it wasn't intentional, so your guess is as good as hers on that one.

Now, back to CPI Bhut variation... anyone else?
PepperLover said:
yes i got them around 2006, several plants produced different pods, i kept the best looking 

Terravexti said:
I've been growing bhuts scince 2006, and my strain looks exactly like those. Long, bumpy and ngarly.

Seems they became available from CPI in 2006?

Back