• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Crab cakes

I have been trying to decide how to make these crab cakes for a while now.  I love Maryland style crab cakes, but figuring out which recipe is best is like trying to decide who makes the best BBQ in Texas, pizza in NYC,  or cheese steak in Philly.  All the recipes include several things, crab meat, a binder, and some sort of filler to hold it together.  The binders can vary as can the filler.  I have seen everything from cubed bread, to dried bread crumbs, to crushed saltines, etc.  I am curious what your favorite recipes are.  Here is mine:

1 16oz can Lump crab meat
1 16oz can Claw crab meat
2 Eggs
1 cup Mayo
1 Tbs Worcestershire sauce
1 Tbs Hot sauce (I used a local Maryland company's sauce called Eagle Wingz Extreme Chesapeake Style Hot Sauce)
1 Tbs Old Bay Seasoning
1 Tsp Granulated garlic
1 Tsp Onion powder
1 cup Panko bread crumbs
1 Bloody Mary

The first thing you need when preparing Maryland Style Crab Cakes on a Sunday morning, is a good Bloody Mary.  I like to add a little BaconSalt and Pure Evil to mine.

Next, whisk the eggs, mayo, worcestershire, hot sauce, and spices together in a bowl.  Pick through the crab meat and add to bowl, add bread crumbs, gently stir to combine careful not to break up the crab meat too much.

I use an ice cream scoop to make uniform balls of crab cake.  I put them on a parchment lined sheet tray and put them in the refrigerator for a few hours to set up and let the flavors combine.

I then pan fry them on medium high heat with butter and canola oil.  Most recipes say oil, but I like the taste of the butter added.

100_1715.JPG

100_1713.JPG

100_1708.JPG

100_1709.JPG

100_1710.JPG

100_1712.JPG

100_1712.JPG

100_1714.JPG

Cooking and finished plate pics to come a little later.  Please post YOUR favorite crab cakes so we can compare.

Not the same, the crab cakes in the pic are cooked.  The only thing left to do is slide a spatula under them and put them on a plate.

Back