• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Cranberry habanero jelly

Hi all. Every year for Christmas at my wife's job everybody gives each other a small gift. My wife suggested I make some pepper jelly and fill some 4oz jars for her to give to her co-workers. After tossing up some different ideas, I suggested a cranberry-habanero jelly. My wife loved the idea so the search for a recipe began. I ended up following this recipe-
17 to 20 habanero peppers (about 1 cup diced)
1 1/2 to 2 large red bell peppers (about 2 cups diced)
1 1/2 cups white vinegar
1/2 cup whole cranberries, fresh or frozen
1/2 cup dried, sweetened cranberries (Craisins)
7 cups granulated sugar
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
3 ounces liquid fruit pectin (1 pouch Certo)

Wearing food-safe gloves, stem, seed, and dice habanero peppers. Seed and dice the bell peppers. Process peppers in a food processor or blender until minced. Add the vinegar and continue processing until smooth.

Heat a 6 1/2-quart stockpot over medium-high heat. Add the pepper slurry, and the whole and dried cranberries. Cook, simmering and stirring often, until the whole cranberries burst, about 6 to 8 minutes. (Do not breathe the vapors!) Remove from heat. Use an immersion blender or food processor and puree until smooth.

Return stockpot to heat, add sugar and cook, stirring, until the sugar is dissolved. Add the lemon juice. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring frequently, for 20 minutes. Increase heat to medium-high and bring the mixture to a rolling boil, add the pectin, and, while stirring constantly, cook for 1 minute. Remove from heat, ladle into sterilized containers, and process containers in a hot water bath for 10 minutes.

I made 2 batches and finished with 24 4oz jars and nearly 3 pint jars full.
20131208_170905_LLS_resized.jpg

Had a quick try of the first batch before adding the pectin and it is delicious! 

I keep thinking I want to look for a recipe for hab jelly that doesn't contain cranberries or other adulterants - for more of a pure flavor. But then I taste some of the cranberry/fatalii jelly I made using this recipe and stop looking again. The flavor, color and texture of this jelly is the best!
     I have given jars of this stuff (cranberry/Caribbean red and cranberry/fatalii) to several non-pepperheads. They always say it's too hot at first. Then a few days later, they tell me it tastes so good they don't mind the heat. The next step is remarking how much they liked the first jar and demanding I make more! 
     This year I'll be trying Bradley's Bahamian goat, mortalii, bishop's crown and BOC for starters. Thanks again, Meathead!

edit: After looking over the original recipe, I realized I made some changes when I made this stuff. I omitted the bell pepper and increased the number of habs by about a third. hth

Back