• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

breeding Creating crosses

I have been noticing that many people on here are creating their own cross breeds and I have now grown an interest in it. I'm thinking of trying it this year and had a few questions.

1) once hand pollinating do I have to worry about bees and such pollinating? Or how do I know I did actually pollinate it?
2) should I pollinate more than one flower with same combo?
3) if I want genes from one type to be more dominate, should that be the plant flower I pollinate or the other way around?
4) anything else that may be important to know

Once the flower has been pollinated I don't think you need to worry about any other pollen effecting it. If it were me I would isolate the flower once pollinated. As far as I know you'll just have to wait and see if a pepper starts to develope to see if you were successful.

Obviously the more you do the better your chances of being successful. Not sure by what you mean by combo though. Are you saying pollinate one flower with the pollen from different species? You can try but I don't know if a flower will accept pollen from more than one species/flower.

I believe to get dominant traits you would need to pollinate a flower that is growing on an already crossed plant with the pollen of the species you want the dominant traits from. Man was that convoluted. Example would be you cross a Trinidad Scorpion, host plant, with a Congo Trinidad. Grow a plant from those seeds, call it Trini Congo Scorp. If you want the pods of future plants to have tails you might pollinate the flowers on the Trini Congo Scorp with a Trini Scorp again. The seeds from those peppers hopefully would grow plants with pods that have tails.

I think.

this is a good topic I've always wondered about, looking forward to seeing more replies, thanks Patrick for your input

Once the flower has been pollinated I don't think you need to worry about any other pollen effecting it. If it were me I would isolate the flower once pollinated. As far as I know you'll just have to wait and see if a pepper starts to develope to see if you were successful.

Do you have any references to research that shows a flower can accept pollen from one donor?

Obviously the more you do the better your chances of being successful. Not sure by what you mean by combo though. Are you saying pollinate one flower with the pollen from different species? You can try but I don't know if a flower will accept pollen from more than one species/flower.

I believe to get dominant traits you would need to pollinate a flower that is growing on an already crossed plant with the pollen of the species you want the dominant traits from. Man was that convoluted. Example would be you cross a Trinidad Scorpion, host plant, with a Congo Trinidad. Grow a plant from those seeds, call it Trini Congo Scorp. If you want the pods of future plants to have tails you might pollinate the flowers on the Trini Congo Scorp with a Trini Scorp again. The seeds from those peppers hopefully would grow plants with pods that have tails.

What I meant was doing the same cross at multiple spots which like you said would increase my chances. At the moment I would only be crossing Chinese varieties.

As from what you say is the host plant (plant that produces pod?), would that possibly be where most traits come from, is it more of an even share, or completely random?

Either way, I take it that it could take several generations to achieve the desired result, correct?

*LOL. Using my iPad I had put my reply in the quote!

A preliminary search suggests that flowers can receive pollen from multiple donors.

Hence if you are creating a cross and want to be sure about all of the seeds then you will need to isolate the flower until it is no longer receptive to pollen.

You actually won't know if you were successful until the next generation. You have to ripen that one and replant the seeds and see if the pods are a cross. Then to see if its stable you have to keep it isolated to ensure that it is pollinates itself. Best way is indoors and hand pollinated. You can also use friendlies such as lady bugs isolated with them...but less reliable. Good luck, what you crossing?

Oh...it's best to isolate the test plant before the first blooms appear and hand pollinate that one as well.

Shane,
I'm not exactly sure which I would like to try. I know that it would be a chocolate hab x superhot. Maybe a scorpion. I would like to keep the flavor of the hab but give it a new shape/ gnarlier look.

The first generation (f1) from a cross will show only the dominant traits from both parents regardless of who the mother plant is. All f1 offspring will look more or less the same. The f2 generation will show a lot of variation from plant to plant. Some f2s will have recessive traits and I believe the original mother plants genes will be more common.

Here's a link to a my thread showing how to hand pollinate:

http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/23298-it-seems-i-have-my-first-sucessful-cross/page__fromsearch__1

I'm glad I came across this. Crossing is something new to me. I was going to post a topic on the same thing.
Thanks Dshlogg and everyone else on the info so far, I was wondering about the mother/father plant and which shows more traits. My assumption that the mother plants traits would be more common seems to be correct. Another question I was wondering about..

So when stating what kind of cross it is..

For exp: Bhut X Trinidad Scorpion

Is the mother plant the first variety stated? Which I would assume would be the right way to do it..
I ask this because I assume that if they were vice versa the cross would be a tad bit different.. Or do people just state what the cross is in no specific way?

Thanks
Brandon

You label them Mother X father or Mother/Father (Purdy notation)
I've heard it doesn't matter which is the mother and which is the father but I think this is wrong. If the mother was an annuum and father a chinenses, the seeds produced would likely be larger annuum seeds rather than smaller chinenses seeds. I would think this would make quite a difference in germination and speed of growth etc but this is just my thoughts
The hardest part of developing a good cross is the mass amount of plants usually needed each year to choose best characteristics from. I've tried in the past only growing 3 or 4 f2s but ity just doesn't work out well so I had to wait till the next year to grow out 50+ and out of those I only found 1 worth continuing with

The first generation (f1) from a cross will show only the dominant traits from both parents regardless of who the mother plant is. All f1 offspring will look more or less the same. The f2 generation will show a lot of variation from plant to plant. Some f2s will have recessive traits and I believe the original mother plants genes will be more common.

Here's a link to a my thread showing how to hand pollinate:

http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/23298-it-seems-i-have-my-first-sucessful-cross/page__fromsearch__1

Thanks dshlogg. I think that will be my approach also as to the other approachs of bags and meshes.

The hardest part of developing a good cross is the mass amount of plants usually needed each year to choose best characteristics from. I've tried in the past only growing 3 or 4 f2s but ity just doesn't work out well so I had to wait till the next year to grow out 50+ and out of those I only found 1 worth continuing with

Really, 50+! I don't think I have enough room to do that many plants. I may have to ask some friends to help out with that. At least I would have a whole extra year to plan that out.

I'm trying to create longer ,fatter, peter cross for fun

Rofl. Trying to make it more true to scale? Add some cherry bombs to the equation and you'll have the whole set!

I was trying to find it...I thought it was on chileman website but can't find it...it tells you in detail how to create hybrids...after you hand pollinate it, you have to emasculate the flower or something like that...anybody remember where this article is...

It seems every year someone talks about a Peter pepper cross but its obviously not that easy.
Anyone ever come across "Country girl" peppers? :) Thats one I've been looking for for many years, although like Peters I believe its rare to find one that totally matches the description

Back