• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Crock pot beans need a kick.

Hi,

Man i'm glad i found this board. lots of awesome recipes and the pictures of hella spicy delicacies are totally stimulating my creative needs to make unbearably spicy food. next time i whip up a gut bomb i'll try and remember to share pics.

I've been on a pint bean kick lately, crock potting dry pintos overnight with some crawdad bullion i got from asiamart. and mashing em up into un-refried refried beans. As it sits now i've been just adding tapatio after their done. Adds flavor, but not really spicy at all. i wanted to know if anyone had any secrets or suggestions to impart flavor and heat to the beans as they cook in the crockpot. my next batch will have fresh jalapeno's all cut up n added. but any and all suggestions or ideas would be awesome.

Thanks!

Welcome Kharnifex!
:welcome:

You certainly did come to the right forum for inspiration! There are some awesome cooks around here. And a lot of just plain fun tomfoolishery, too. :lol:

For your beans, try adding an assortment of dried chiles while they are cooking. Anything from crushed/ground anchos, to chipotles (which would be TERRIFIC because of the smoky flavor they have) even plain old cayenne would help jack up the heat. Any fresh chiles you can find can be thrown in the pot also.

For the chipotles, try to find dry chipotle powder, but if you can't find that, just use the chipotles in adobo. With the garlic and onions, you're on your way. I feel like the main trick to flavorful beans is, lots of flavoring ingredients and having all the ingredients in the pot while the beans are cooking so the flavored water absorbs into the beans, not just cooking the beans in plain water and then trying to spice them up later.

For the last couple pot'o'beans we had, I threw in some locally made andouille sausage....YUM!

And take lots of pics! we LUUUV pics. Make sure to post on the welcome forum and tell us a little about yourself.

Have Fun!
salsalady

Thanks for the warm welcome.

andouille sausage! man i wish i could find this stuff somewhere around here. i can't ever seem to find any.

my last batch i cut up a white onion and stuck it in the pot but it was after all was said and done. garlic and onions is a better idea, i guess my question is if i were to put the garlic and onion in the crockpot at the beginning would it impart flavor the best? or would the flavors be stronger if i added raw garlic and onion after it's finished cooking.

Thanks

You need andouille and Cajun seasonings, then some superhot pepper powder.

welcome Khar.

Andouille isn't too hard to find. I've seen it at major grocery stores, wal-mart, whole foods. Look by the kelbasa or the hot-dogs, if not in the butcher case.
I think Hillshire Farms makes an "Andouille Style" sausage that could substitute.

Hell, throw a ham-hock in there if you have to!

Be careful eating so many beans...you know...the musical fruit!

Chorizo's a great idea. love that stuff. especially the pig salivary gland.

i live across the street from a grocery store, but there meat section is.....disabled. the meat counter just offers cold cuts. and they don't offer the finer points in meat. I get my drivers license back in a couple of days (Exciting!!) so i'll hunt down some propper andouille for sure.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

andouille sausage! man i wish i could find this stuff somewhere around here. i can't ever seem to find any.

my last batch i cut up a white onion and stuck it in the pot but it was after all was said and done. garlic and onions is a better idea, i guess my question is if i were to put the garlic and onion in the crockpot at the beginning would it impart flavor the best? or would the flavors be stronger if i added raw garlic and onion after it's finished cooking.

Thanks

You can do BOTH if you want! Putting the flavor stuffs in first is the best way to get the flavor into the beans, but you can add some at the end or when serving for the fresh flavor also. Diced onions on top of chili...anyone? Oh Yea!

Any kind of spicy sausage-type product, go for it~

kharnifex, where do you live?

Real andouille here from LA:

Soultran's Seafood
651 Broadway St
Vallejo, CA 94590
(707) 643-1587

Around here the Johnsonville Sausage New Orleans style is a pretty good close hit, and a little spicy by itself. I would try some smoked habs, chipotle style, to add some extra kick to it.

Back