• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Crock pot cooking- chicken stew

I love using the crock pot. It is truly for the lazy cooker. You just chop everything up, throw it in and come back hours later and it is perfectly cooked. What could be easier!

Saturday, my son and I had a hankering for some chicken stew and a quick google search found me a recipe that I could loosely follow, so here we go.

Lots of vegetables chopped up and tossed in the slow cooker 1st. Potato, corn, peas, carrots onion and celery.
IMAG0766.jpg

Chicken, just defrosted and ready to get cut up.
IMAG0767.jpg

2 Ghost peppers
IMAG0768.jpg

Spices and the rest of the jar of Mrs Renfroes Ghost pepper salsa. ( hey, I didn't invent the recipe, I googled it and it called for salsa).
IMAG0769.jpg

Leave the house, do some chores, paint the basement a little and finally come back 6 hours later. (this pic is actually after we ate most of it).

IMAG0770.jpg

Very tasty and I'll probably do this again.
A couple of random thoughts:
I'm not sure the salsa actually added anything to the recipe, the recipe called for a whole jar, but I only had about a 1/3 of a jar left.
Two ghost peppers is HOT. We ate the left overs on Sunday night and we added cheese to the top. That helped cool it off a tad and my mouth was only on fire for 15 minutes afterwards.

Anyone else have a favorite crock pot recipe for the days when you really don't have time to cook dinner?

I'm totally with you. Crock-Pot season Rocks.
We'll put a Pork But and Verde Sauce in it in the morning, and when we get home from work, the smell smacks us in the face.

Please tell me you ate that stew with some hot bread!
And I have to ask... only three little thighs?
No matter, I wish I had some of it right now.

:cheers:

There's a crock pot season?

That's news to me.

Mine runs all year long.

mrs. blues gotz to have her crocked porkage.

I gotz to have my beanz.

Please tell me you ate that stew with some hot bread!

Got some fresh made jalapeno cheddar sourdough bread on the cutting block next to the crock pot. It didn't get in the pictures though.

For anyone who is interested, here is the recipe I loosely followed. http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/spicy-chicken-stew-10000001875323/ I don't think of it so much as a recipe, but more of like a concept. I find a concept that I think looks interesting then I change it into something that matches the food we have on hand and the heat level I want it to be at.

I like your "concept" concept. lol

Yeah TB, there is a season. When the temperatures drop below 70°. We rarely run the Crocker when it's 105° in the summer,
and when we do, it's outside. Now it's winter and soon we'll be in the minus temps.

Crock Pot season is among us!

Back