• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

breeding Cross Country/Chileplants.com

They didn't *seem* to mature more quickly. I got my first pod of the two plants off of the BH. The limón did do better in the summer months and didn't slow down as much.
I hope the issue with the flavour can be remedied via the use of a different medium and fertiliser as the Limón does indeed appear to be one of the more hardier C. Chinense varieties I've grown thus far.

IIRC, yes. It's so hard to say at this stage, though. Looks like a lot of other chinenses. If you'd have asked me a week ago, I'd've sent you a photo. But my BH melted along with most of the rest of my garden in the frost on Tuesday night.
I thought about posting a query when the first Limón bloomed on the 4th but didn't come across this thread until today. :banghead: There's always next time if the flavour wasn't a big enough deterrent.

Hi Harry,

I do not. But based on what fruited here and came from CCN, the Beni Highland was a 2-2.5" pepper, ripened orange. Tasted pretty good. Citrus tones, plenty of heat. The plant was about 2.5' tall, but did get stunted a bit in the summer.

The Limón produced small, 1/2-1" fruits that were bright yellow and that I quite disliked the taste of. Very bitter and "soapy" to my tastes. Similar heat to the BH, but perhaps a bit less (I didn't eat many due to the taste). It produced considerably more heavy yields than the BH. Almost tepin-ish. The plant was very bushy and grew to maybe 2.5'.

Hope that helps!

A ate my first ripe Limón fruit and didn't detect any bitterness or soapiness. The flavour that stood out was the citrus tone. It didn't pack as much heat as I expected. I ate the first pod the day (or the day after) it had changed to yellow. I'll see how some more pods taste soon.

It seems that one of the Limón plants has even managed to set fruit through the heatwave. The weather has been too hot for the other Capsicum Chinense varieties to set fruit.

A ate my first ripe Limón fruit and didn't detect any bitterness or soapiness. The flavour that stood out was the citrus tone. It didn't pack as much heat as I expected. I ate the first pod the day (or the day after) it had changed to yellow. I'll see how some more pods taste soon.

It seems that one of the Limón plants has even managed to set fruit through the heatwave. The weather has been too hot for the other Capsicum Chinense varieties to set fruit.

Awesome, harry! I'm not sure what was up with mine. Conditions, soil...something. I'm in the minority on taste with these. Dunno what I had going on wrong. Just happens sometimes. I picked some broccoli yesterday out of my crop that was insanely bitter. Go figure.

Awesome, harry! I'm not sure what was up with mine. Conditions, soil...something. I'm in the minority on taste with these. Dunno what I had going on wrong. Just happens sometimes. I picked some broccoli yesterday out of my crop that was insanely bitter. Go figure.

The taste of the second Limón pod from the same plant was consistent with my description of the first. The third ripe pod on that plant may not last long if I hold up this rate of consumption.

I've encountered bitterness in pods caused by environmental issues during the development of the pods. I had this problem with my early season Fatalii pods.

I had a look for articles on what causes the bitterness but have yet to find one.

I had a look for articles on what causes the bitterness but have yet to find one.

Interesting. If you do find something, please share here. Would love to know. Especially since conditions for that plant were very similar to all my others. Go figure.

Back