• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

breeding Cross polination

Hi everybody! Who has experience with cross polination and like to talk about it? Can every capsicum specie cross with each other capsicum species or are there problems between species? How do you find out what for dominant features a specific plant has? Is working with cross polination pure bad or good luck, a kind of coincidence? Thank you for your help and capsicum cross experiences/ stories! :dance:

Hi everybody! Who has experience with cross polination and like to talk about it? Can every capsicum specie cross with each other capsicum species or are there problems between species? How do you find out what for dominant features a specific plant has? Is working with cross polination pure bad or good luck, a kind of coincidence? Thank you for your help and capsicum cross experiences/ stories! :dance:

Ow, and did I use the right board for this subject, or do I have to use another?

Hi there,

Check out this page, it has a chart showing different variety ability to cross pollinate.

http://www.thechileman.org/guide_seedsaving.php

Mark T

This is a topic of interest for me, if you want message me Miek
I am trying to put together a reference for myself.

Basic dominant traits and dominance.

I am starting to cross breed, bhut jolokia and cayenne, very soon. and I was going to be growing out my F1, hybrids in a few months, and starting to
create my own pepper from there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F1_hybrid

I noticed they grow like crazy, and hope that I can add that vigor to a plant that grows hotter peppers.

I'm new to growing, I havn't pulled 1 pepper off my plant.

1.JPG

here it is...

For dominant traits -here is a list of capsicum genetic traits: http://www.aseanbiotechnology.info/Abstract/21027547.pdf

Bad or good luck? You may be lucky to find something of interest f you grow a few plants and then isolate them for 6-8 generations and you may have a new stabile variety. But when the big companies or government programmes are doing their work nothing is luck/coincidence - they grow thousands of plants of for example the very important F2 (second generation) so that it is only a matter of statistic and you will find what you are looking for among the many plants. Say you want to incorporate yellow pod color into an already excisting variety with red pods. Red is dominant over yellow, which means that when you grow the cross (F1) you will have a plant with red pods. However, when you grow the second generation (F2) you will statistically get 3 red pods for every yellow pod according to Mendel's rules mentioned above in the thread. So you would (statistically) need to grow 4 four plants to get one yellow to select and work further on. Next year/generation (F3)a larger proportion of the grown plants will have yellow pods if you grow selfed seeds from the yellow pod. If you are looking for even more traits (quantitative and/or qualitative) at the same time it gets even more complicated - let's say you are looking for 4 specific qualiative traits then you would statistically need to grow 4 x 4 x 4 x 4 = 256 plants to get one plant with all 4 traits showing on the same plant.

So, if your object is simple - then you ma achieve something by growing say 10 or 20 plants but if you want a lot of different qualities, then you would have to be lucky to get it all if you only grow a few plants.

I hope it was easy to understand.

Donnie thanks for the amazing response.

I am setting up a pepper breeding site this week, I will be looking further into all you posted and I will be putting up my grow tests on my site..

I just picked up a breeding vegetable varieties book, so hopefully it will give me insight on growing in general, and hybridization

my plan

Cayenne plant, (green then turns red), pollinating with a bhut jolokia (green then turns red)

to get a possibly larger pepper, with heavy production like the cayenne, and be hotter than a cayenne.

Once I get it stable I might throw a color in and make them yellow or brown. I figured that if I can get a few generations in, it might make it easier to cross the barriers of breeding across pepper varieties...

also if my sweet pepper is ready, I will use that same bhut jolokia to father a test hybrid with that, and have 2 hybrids to keep track of.. and grow that.

Hey Miek, just noticed it was you ;). Interesting matter.. Just a tip, check out Mendel's experiments;

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK22098/

Sounds interesting and I think you might succeed. I tried crossing an annuum with a chinense (Pequin de Ischia x Naga Morich) and found that it was not easy to get hold of the typical aromatic flavor of the chinense species, not a lot of it in my 2nd generation (F2). But making a cayenne hotter should be quite simple - and often it is the best idea to keep it simple if you want to achieve a specific goal. Good Luck!

Donnie thanks for the amazing response.

I am setting up a pepper breeding site this week, I will be looking further into all you posted and I will be putting up my grow tests on my site..

I just picked up a breeding vegetable varieties book, so hopefully it will give me insight on growing in general, and hybridization

my plan

Cayenne plant, (green then turns red), pollinating with a bhut jolokia (green then turns red)

to get a possibly larger pepper, with heavy production like the cayenne, and be hotter than a cayenne.

Once I get it stable I might throw a color in and make them yellow or brown. I figured that if I can get a few generations in, it might make it easier to cross the barriers of breeding across pepper varieties...

also if my sweet pepper is ready, I will use that same bhut jolokia to father a test hybrid with that, and have 2 hybrids to keep track of.. and grow that.

Back