• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

breeding Cross pollinate?

New here, sorry if some of the questions are stupid, but I didnt really think of it, but do I need to worry about my jalapeno and datil growind side by side, as far as the two cross pollinating. Thanks

New here, sorry if some of the questions are stupid, but I didnt really think of it, but do I need to worry about my jalapeno and datil growind side by side, as far as the two cross pollinating. Thanks

This is an issue if you plan on saving seeds from those two varieties. There are a few methods of isolating flowers mentioned on these forums that you may use.

How much space is between them?

I open pollinate all my superhots and only occasionally have experienced anything weird. It all depends on what you're trying to do.

It's funny, I notice a lot of people don't have any trouble with growing with non-isolated seed, then I got this weird Naga Morich hybrid... which made me kind of paranoid, so if I really like a plant I isolate enough flowers to quell my paranoia. Otherwise I'd spend too many nights awake wondering!

How much space is between them?

I open pollinate all my superhots and only occasionally have experienced anything weird. It all depends on what you're trying to do.
A mile and a half is recommended but not really practical. Try a site search for isolating, there are many tecniques to up your odds for pure seeds

Back